Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Brake caliper, long story, quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Brake caliper, long story, quick question.

Hi all,

01 GC, 43k, used little by my parents, now mine.

I'm redoing the brakes. Got Brakemotion rotors and pads, really like them. Picked up calipers and lines at the parts store. Enjoying a nice slow sunny day with the garage doors open.

Everything is going well with all these shiny new parts until I attempt to mount the front left caliper. I'm really struggling to get the bolts started. I can't believe how inept I can be. Finally, as my arms give out, I pull the caliper out and guess what? The bolts don't fit. The bracket is threaded differently. The difference is obvious on visual inspection. Wow, didn't see that coming.

Now, being that I'm stranded and really need to put this thing back together, does anyone see any reason other than it being fugly, that I can't clean up and reuse the old bracket? I'll use the new pins.

Somewhat stunned.
Thanks Tom
Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You sure you have the correct calipers? I don't see a problem with using the old bracket of everything else is correct.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

No question it's the right caliper with correct part number on the box. My guess is this assembly is used on another vehicle with different size mounting bolts, hence the same bracket with slightly smaller mounting holes and different bolt threads. I counted six threads rather than nine. The unit was re-manufactured in Mexico. I'm sure they do many. When I return the core with the wrong bracket, I bet remain together, so there will always be at least one left front caliper on a shelf somewhere with the wrong bracket.