Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Body repair question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: in line 6
Default Body repair question....

I have a 1993 grand cherokee 4x4.I got into an accident 3 days ago and got hit on the passenger side at about the back of the front door.It caved in both doors somewhat and the area under the doors.It did not break any windows as the damage is lower.I am thinking I will need to replace the doors and the standard between them and the area under them.I will be going tomorrow to get a actual auto body shop to look at it.I have been told so far that it cannot be repaired and that to me is not acceptable.I am still driving it and there seems to be no warping of the frame.I am trying to get an idea of what I will and can do to get it fixed.We will be doing some probably most of the repairs ourselves.I will not junk this jeep.I will drive it no matter what it looks like because it is the best ride ever.My question is about what I've been told is a unibody that would cause problems with repairs.what does that mean and why can we not cut out the bad part and weld in a new one? Any and all replies greatly appreciated.Thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

It is a uni-body structure and doesn't have a separate frame. You would need to cut the "B-pillar" ( the area between the doors) out of a donor ZJ from the roof all way down into the floor board including the rocker panel. Cut out the damaged section from your ZJ and replace it with the good part. You will also need both doors apparently.
It's a big job but that's how it's done at the body shop. Your skill level will determine how well it looks when finished.
And Welcome to CF!
Dan
Old 04-26-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: in line 6

Thanks,Dan.I know its going to be a big job and because insurance won't pay I will have to do all I can.I've been thinking about removing the interior myself and then the doors and seeing how much it will cost to have a body shop do the replacing of the b-pillar and rocker panel and then we can put back the inside and the doors.We have a parts jeep already and I'm hoping we can use some parts off of it but if not we can get some fairly reasonable at some local scrap yards.My husband got a door for his for $25 when the hinges broke on his and it took us about 30 minutes to replace it.It just about kills me to see mine crashed so I'm determined to make it right.Wish me luck.

Oh and thanks for the welcome...I love this forum...all jeeps all the time
Old 04-26-2010, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Check/measure the damaged area on yours and remove a larger section from the donor Jeep so that you are sure to have enough material to make the repair. If you remove the doors and interior and carpet, then have the Jeep and the section from the donor towed to the body shop it should be a lot cheaper. Then you just reassemble it yourself. JMO
Dan