Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Blinkers, Wipers, and heaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Blinkers, Wipers, and heaters

So I recently bought a 1993 Cherokee sport 4x4 from my friend in Washington. We shipped it down to Texas. It had been sitting for awhile and I wanted it.

Long story short, not too long ago it rained a lot here in Texas and all of a sudden one night the wipers and blinkers and heater stopped working. Every time I try to turn them on, nothing would happen except the radio shut off (aftermarket pioneer radio). Nothing works. Blinkers will not work and when used, shut the radio off. Wipers will not work and shut radio off. Same with heater . Everything is the same story. Need to get this fixed. Anyway literally last night everything started to work again...for 5 minutes then it stopped and went back to not working.

PLEASE HELP! I have another car but want to put it in storage and drive the XJ

Last edited by 1993xjcherokeesport4x4; 11-10-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1993xjcherokeesport4x4
So I recently bought a 1993 Cherokee sport 4x4 from my friend in Washington. We shipped it down to Texas. It had been sitting for awhile and I wanted it.

Long story short, not too long ago it rained a lot here in Texas and all of a sudden one night the wipers and blinkers and heater stopped working. Every time I try to turn them on, nothing would happen except the radio shut off (aftermarket pioneer radio). Nothing works. Blinkers will not work and when used, shut the radio off. Wipers will not work and shut radio off. Same with heater . Everything is the same story. Need to get this fixed. Anyway literally last night everything started to work again...for 5 minutes then it stopped and went back to not working.

I live in north idaho , have a 1990 xj . I have been battling electrical issues for years. First fix was clutch master cylinder leaking into fuse box and eating the copper contacts. Today I had a good windshield replaced because it was leaking rain water across the whole dash.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1993xjcherokeesport4x4

I live in north idaho , have a 1990 xj . I have been battling electrical issues for years. First fix was clutch master cylinder leaking into fuse box and eating the copper contacts. Today I had a good windshield replaced because it was leaking rain water across the whole dash.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:18 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

So electrical issues like this are just common on these jeeps?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:50 AM

I'm afraid so. I don't know about your year xj but mine has an electrical box attached with Velcro under dash on drivers side, wires come from turn signal / wiper switch. This had water in it. My glove box hat water in it.. If your problems started after a heavy Texas rain with jeep just sitting I would look for water inside and find the leak. Many articles on this.