Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Blinkers and Emergency Flashers Not Working HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Blinkers and Emergency Flashers Not Working HELP!!!

Hey everyone, I have a problems with my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Quadradrive, 4x4, inline6, 4.0
The Blinkers and the Energency Flashers aren't working.
here's the story/timeline:

1. Left Blinker started going out intermittently, and would come back on only when car was operating after 30 minutes plus.
2. Then the blinker would sometimes come on if I banged on the dash board near where the fuse panel is (left of steering wheel).
3. Now, both blinkers aren't working at all, and also the emergency flashers aren't working. The emergency flashers were working as well as the right blinkers up until today.

Clearly this isn't the actual flasher fuse... its got to be something else, like the connection, or the board? Plug?

Has anyone seen this issue? Can anyone give me some tips as to how I might diagnose this problem accurately without spending money on needless replacement parts?

Please help? Its totally awkward driving around without blinkers! I'm that guy who's using hand signals!!!
Ha ha.

Thank you!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 V8

I had the problem with my left indicator not working when I turned, but working when i put my hazzards on.

I went to the fuse panel under the steering wheel http://www.wjjeeps.com/fuses.htm

On the same WJ page it also mentions....

WJ flasher repair tip The flasher is located in the Junction Block (under the dash, left of steering wheel. See diagram at very top of this page). The following repair tip was provided by "tntguy":
Look at the end of the flasher relay with the prongs sticking out. There will be 2 plastic tabs holding it together. Break or bend these back. Pull out the insides. On one side will be all the components. On the other side will be solder joints. Get a magnifying glass and inspect these joints. One or two will probably have stress cracks. Just dab a little flux on this joint and heat it with a soldering iron until it melts back together. You may need to add just a little solder. Be sure to get the pins hot and not just the solder. They need a lot of heat. Slide the relay back into its cover, dab a little super glue or tape it back together, and you're ready to go.

The indicator fuse was blue i think and all I did was clean the points and it started working again. It was a real pain to get to as its right up under there and it took me a good 5 mins trying to put it back in! If you need a new one, you can probably pick one up off ebay. In the UK i saw them for about £60!

The dash comes off easy. See points 4 & 5 on this page http://www.wjjeeps.com/interiortrim.htm#CLUSTERBEZ

Hope that helps.