Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

axle shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default axle shaft replacement

found out both my cv boots have been destroyed so it's probably time to replace my axle shafts. first question, what is the size of the nut that holds on the hub assembly? i know its bigger than anything i've got so i guess i need to buy one.

btw the car is a 2000 grand cherokee 4wd with the straight 6, automatic w/ selectrac

Last edited by jpfaut01; 08-18-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: more info added
Old 08-18-2009, 07:34 PM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by jpfaut01
found out both my cv boots have been destroyed so it's probably time to replace my axle shafts. first question, what is the size of the nut that holds on the hub assembly? i know its bigger than anything i've got so i guess i need to buy one.

btw the car is a 2000 grand cherokee 4wd with the straight 6, automatic w/ selectrac
I'm not remembering, but it seems like 36mm...

You can borrow or buy them from AutoZone, O'Reilly's, PepBoys and others.

KevinF
Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

36mm and you should own one if you wheel at all.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by KevinsOffroad.com
I'm not remembering, but it seems like 36mm...

You can borrow or buy them from AutoZone, O'Reilly's, PepBoys and others.

KevinF

thanks guys, new question for ya...

the only thing standing in front of me from removing the cv axle is the bearing assembly. i used a 3 jaw puller to remove the hub but i don't have room to use it on the bearing assembly. what's the best way to remove the assembly, mine seems to be original, badly abused, and well seized...any suggestions or tips?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 PM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by jpfaut01
thanks guys, new question for ya...

the only thing standing in front of me from removing the cv axle is the bearing assembly. i used a 3 jaw puller to remove the hub but i don't have room to use it on the bearing assembly. what's the best way to remove the assembly, mine seems to be original, badly abused, and well seized...any suggestions or tips?
Ummm...I'm not 100% sure I'm following. Are you saying that after removing the (3) 12-point 13mm bolts from the backside of the knuckle that go into the hub, that the outer portion of the hub came apart from the inside of the hub?

If so, you're just plain F'd. ;-)

Actually, I'm really not sure HOW to work that one. Beat the crap out of it with a 3lb sledge hammer? Take it to NAPA and press it off?

If you're not re-using the axle shaft anyway, then pitch the entire assembly in the basura and buy a new hub bearing (from Mopar...the aftermarket ones last about 1/3 the miles of a Mopar one).

KevinF
Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by KevinsOffroad.com
Ummm...I'm not 100% sure I'm following. Are you saying that after removing the (3) 12-point 13mm bolts from the backside of the knuckle that go into the hub, that the outer portion of the hub came apart from the inside of the hub?

If so, you're just plain F'd. ;-)

Actually, I'm really not sure HOW to work that one. Beat the crap out of it with a 3lb sledge hammer? Take it to NAPA and press it off?

If you're not re-using the axle shaft anyway, then pitch the entire assembly in the basura and buy a new hub bearing (from Mopar...the aftermarket ones last about 1/3 the miles of a Mopar one).

KevinF

well that's actually exactly what happened. i did get the rest of the bearing off with a bigger hammer and installed new hub bearings afterwords. i threw on some timkens, not mopars, hopefully they will last a little while.