Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ASD related problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ASD related problem

So this jeep has been a huge project and ive finally gotten down to the last bits. when i bought the jeep the previous owner had a jumper wire in place of the ASD relay, i dont remember off the top of my head what pins they were jumping but i am fairly certain its the two switched pins. its been driving fine with the jumper in place and hasnt set any lights, though i havent checked for other cmdtcs.

now i bought an asd relay and when i install the relay the jeep cranks but wont start. ive ohm tested all the wires to and from the relay and am getting power, but i am wondering where the ground for the pcm is located? i work at ford so im used to being able to pull up diagrams and pinpoint tests, ive gotten a few basic schematics off of alldata but am sort of flying blind when it comes to jeep electrical systems.

anyone ever experience an issue like this and able to fix it? seen lots of posts on lots of sites with people having stalling and no start issues related to the ASD circuit in one way or another but no one has found a fix or common cause. just figured id take a shot at asking you guys.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:07 PM

with the new relay installed the cooling fan runs constantly when the key is on, the fuel pump also runs constantly when the key is on
Old 01-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

the only thing I can think of is there is something wrong with the PCM since it tells the fuel pump to come on when the key is first turned unless the previous owner jimmy-rigged something. even with my jeep, everywhere I go on it I discover a previous owner had been there evident by missing screws or loose connections. makes troubleshooting a bit tougher and in your case you might want to go through the electrical connections to see if there is anything that has been modified.

To answer your question on where the ground for the PCM is its on the block next to the coil. The engine harness connects to the PCM and the PCM makes ground through the harness to the engine block. I don't know what year your jeep is but based off my 96 that info is correct.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:10 AM

ive got a short to power somewhere on the pin 87 circuit of the ASD, havent had time to trace it down but its somewhere between the relay and the ignition coil and capacitor. ill get that fixed tonight and hopefully itll be good
Old 01-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

2001 WJ, correct? You can download the best reference manual (FSM) there is from pacificcoastmanuals.com for $7.99. It's 93 mbs of compressed pdf files on EVERYTHING in your WJ. Lots of circuit diagrams also. This is a reprint of the same manual the dealer service techs use.

That's less than the price of that ASD relay, LOL!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:58 PM

yeah, i found the actual chrysler manual with all the diagrams, system descriptions and operations etc online for free.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2q...zMjQ3MTI1/view