Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

any help here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question any help here?

i still cant get my 97 G.C.L to stop stalling. straight 6 in it,this is my second thread on this site,i havent gotten really any help thus far...
SO PLZ. HELP!!!!!
just replaced the cps,
fresh tune up,
fuel pump,
battery,
ignition module,
icm,
map sensor,
starts up strong,then after about a min or so,it stalls out. sometimes it starts rite back up,other times i have to wait 20-30 min. I cleaned out the tb assembly and that seemed to work a bit,but not enough...

i dont know if its looseing spark,or fuel pressure,and i cant check w/out a gage from my understanding...plz. help!!!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

your gonna have to check it for spark and fuel. There's a shrader valve on the fuel rail AZ will rent out tools or just buy them. Good tools to have spark tester pressure gauge and noid lights
Old 05-23-2010, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any cels comeing on? Check the tps and iac.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

One other thing, the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing. It has two jobs. One is the gauge on the dash, the other is to report to the ecm for fuel trim. It is not uncommon for the gauge to read correct coolant temp and the ecm to receive false information. If the ecm gets temp reading over 260 degrees it leans the hell out of the fuel trim. You can check the resistance with a meter but that is not always effective because the range is so different depending on actual temp. It is also only a $20 part. A scanner will read what the sensor is sending to the ecm/pcm also.

One other thing. Did you replace the entire fuel pump module or did you go and only change the pump. Some of these after market fuel pumps are not worth the trouble and end up causing more grief than good. IMO (professional)