Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Another alarm that wont stop going off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Another alarm that wont stop going off?

Ok, I have searched this topic to no end and still cant find a good solution. Thursday I bought a ZJ from the police auction for $650, drove it home, drove it all weekend. Well tonight I washed it and locked it for the first time. Went to unlock it later and the alarm would not stop going off and the jeep wont start.
I tried everything, the passenger side door, unhook the battery, ground the purple and yellow stripe wire, nothing changes. The drivers side door lock did not have the wires hooked to the back of it when I looked inside the door. The drivers door looked like someone had forced the lock out before. The key does not work in the hatch or the drivers door, and it only works in the passenger door and the ignition switch.
Im going nuts trying to figure this out. The only other thing that I can think of is that the body control module has gone bad.
Any and all help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Dave.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Well since I am getting no response, I am going to swap the body control module out of my 97 Grand Cherokee that does not have an alarm system on it but does have all the same options and the same 4.0 with the select trac transmission. I will post if this works and maybe we can all find a simple way to remove the alarm system on our ZJ's.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

hm thats weird i just grounded the wire right by your foot on the driver side and it hasnt given me a problem yet, not sure why that didnt work unless you grounded the wrong side possibly, not the wire that comes out of the door but the other one is suppose to be grounded... just checkin you
Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 PM

I grounded the purple and yellow wire and even checked for continuity to ground and it was absolutely grounded. Im stumped?? The only thing that I can figure is a malfunctioning alarm system. The jeep really had no electrical bugs like some Zj's do. Everything worked fine up to the moment that I locked and unlocked the doors.

Last edited by N2odart; 06-06-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

oh wow thats so weird... mine did the same first time lock/unlock the alarm went crazy then i did the grounding and it works great... the alarm should be disconnected so im not sure how its going off, maybe find the fuse?