Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default alignment Question

Hello errbody!
This is my first wj. I have lifted 2 xj's but Im stumped on this wj. First off, i installed OME coils and 2 inch spacers,adj trackbar, new shocks. first test drive got death wobble! On my xj's adj track bar cured it. So i put on a adj TB. Still had it so i drove (very slow) to get an alignment. they did an alignment and said they had to adjust the toe. I asked if he did the track bar too and he replied, no, it didnt need any adjusment. I found it strange because i only eyeballed it. but dove off thinking I was now good. 45mph, hit a hole and BAM! DW! UGH! got out and noticed the pass side tire was pointing out a little more than the driver side. brought it back and was told thats normal.
Now i aint no rocket scientist but it didnt seem right to me. but what do i know.
I have changed every tie rod, control arm, etc and the only thing i can think is that its that front pass tire that is out of wack. and it only happens(DW) when i hit a bump on that side. PLEASE HELP
Old 07-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Bad steering box or out of balance tires/bent rim. Rotate your tires. Put front to back and back to front. See if that helps any.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by gotspeed74
Hello errbody!
This is my first wj. I have lifted 2 xj's but Im stumped on this wj. First off, i installed OME coils and 2 inch spacers,adj trackbar, new shocks. first test drive got death wobble! On my xj's adj track bar cured it. So i put on a adj TB. Still had it so i drove (very slow) to get an alignment. they did an alignment and said they had to adjust the toe. I asked if he did the track bar too and he replied, no, it didnt need any adjusment. I found it strange because i only eyeballed it. but dove off thinking I was now good. 45mph, hit a hole and BAM! DW! UGH! got out and noticed the pass side tire was pointing out a little more than the driver side. brought it back and was told thats normal.
Now i aint no rocket scientist but it didnt seem right to me. but what do i know.
I have changed every tie rod, control arm, etc and the only thing i can think is that its that front pass tire that is out of wack. and it only happens(DW) when i hit a bump on that side. PLEASE HELP
If I was you, I would take it to a different alignment shop. Don't tell them you went to one already, tell them you get a shimmy/DW after hitting a bump on that side.. see what the new place finds.
We can sit here all day guessing this and guessing that on whats causing the DW. But the only real way is to have someone check it and do the job right..not some guy who said "Yeah that tire sticking out funny is fine and normal".
Old 07-03-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Thank yall for the help! I will take it to a different alignment shop Monday.