Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Airbag Light on, horn and cruise STILL WORK

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Airbag Light on, horn and cruise STILL WORK

Greetings Everyone I have been having an issue and I have literally searched all corners of Google and have not found my answer. Maybe you guys can help

Vehicle: Model (WJ) 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Issue: Airbag Light on (With Chime) [Randomly, even with no steering wheel input]

The airbag light comes on randomly with chime, I checked the fuses "31/32" and they are not blown. My horn and Cruise Control STILL WORK NORMALLY.

Everywhere I read people say clock spring this clock spring that. But I don't think it is since my horn and cruise works normally. I scanned it and NO codes were pulled. If anyone has a fix that would be awesome. Thank you for the help this problem is driving me crazy. And I don't want to spend a bunch of money throwing parts at the issue.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:45 PM

Have you checked to see if it's time to replace the airbag as they do have a shelf life
Old 02-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, same problem, same year WJ. My airbag light seems to be dependant on the steering wheel. If I'm running straight down the road, the light will shut off and come back on in corners. I talked to the PARTS guys at my Jeep dealer and the clock spring itself is $300! They told me I should bring it in because it may not be the clockspring and that's a bunch to spend and not fix the problem. Yeah, right! So I'll have to spend triple that for diagnosis, parts and labor. Anyway, it needs to be fixed by August 2014 to pass state inspection.

I get nervous working around airbags because my brother had one go off in his face. He was working on his heater blower at the time.

I've been told (hearsay) that the airbag may still work with the light on, but it also may not. The light is controlled by a digital continuity check by the PCM.

I've got 150K on my rig.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by tapp4799
Have you checked to see if it's time to replace the airbag as they do have a shelf life
No I did not check, however i did some research and these airbags are supposed to last a lifetime
Old 02-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Okay, same problem, same year WJ. My airbag light seems to be dependant on the steering wheel. If I'm running straight down the road, the light will shut off and come back on in corners. I talked to the PARTS guys at my Jeep dealer and the clock spring itself is $300! They told me I should bring it in because it may not be the clockspring and that's a bunch to spend and not fix the problem. Yeah, right! So I'll have to spend triple that for diagnosis, parts and labor. Anyway, it needs to be fixed by August 2014 to pass state inspection.

I get nervous working around airbags because my brother had one go off in his face. He was working on his heater blower at the time.

I've been told (hearsay) that the airbag may still work with the light on, but it also may not. The light is controlled by a digital continuity check by the PCM.

I've got 150K on my rig.

Thanks for the reply, however i want to stay away from the "Clock Spring" generalization that happens often in these kinds of issue thread. Thanks for the input though.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Okay, you can have your jeep dealer diagnose it for you for $100. You don't have to let them fix it.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Okay, you can have your jeep dealer diagnose it for you for $100. You don't have to let them fix it.
I had it scanned today, no codes. just the damn light
Old 02-01-2014, 07:18 PM

Year: 2000

From FSM
If the airbag indicator
lamp comes on at any time other than during the
bulb test, it indicates that there is a problem in the
airbag system circuits. Such a problem may cause
the airbags not to deploy when required, or to deploy
when not required.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by prcherokee
From FSM
If the airbag indicator
lamp comes on at any time other than during the
bulb test, it indicates that there is a problem in the
airbag system circuits. Such a problem may cause
the airbags not to deploy when required, or to deploy
when not required.

Thanks for the tip, but the light being on is an indicator that the airbag is disengaged.

I am seriously looking for help on RESOLVING the issue. Not scare tactics.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Yeah, that sounds to me like Mopar's way to make you want to get it fixed.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:27 PM

Wanted to give you guys an update, and also don't want this thread to turn into a black hole like SO many others with this problem...

I took off the plastic sheath on the steering column and unplugged the plugs going into the clock spring, and turned the car into the "on" (accessory) position. The airbag light came on.

I then straightened out the cords and cleared out any debris in the plug (male and female) couplers. and plugged everything back up nice and neatly.

Turned the car back on (accessory), and no light. It's been 3 days of heavy driving (50+ minutes) and normal everyday driving (to work and back). There has been no light, and no further issues with the light. Turns out it was an electrical issue, there may be a cord further down the steering column that may be causing issues. But so far so good.

So anyone else with this issue, try this first! And thank you everyone for your input/help
Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Thank you for that! I'll have to check it out. Anything that will save a bunch of money is worth looking into. Personally, I don't care about the airbag, but with the light on, it won't pass inspection.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:09 PM

Wanted to give everyone another update

So after a few days of driving the light came back on again! I pulled the code using an Innova 3150d scanner. and I get the following SRS code

06 Crash Zone Sensor

My last replacement will be the ACM (airbag control module) for my 2000 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo

I have no idea where to purchase one of these but I will look around, apparently it is an easy replacement to do. I will give another update once I do and get some driving in. If you guys don't hear from me in a few months that means it's fixed. I will try to remember to post here though

I have also decided that I will never buy another jeep again. And I will update you guys if i decide to get rid of it, too many recalls too many problems. Hopefully this will fix it

Last edited by champagon; 02-11-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag light

So Champagon what was the result ? Im having all your symptoms on 2001 Heep GC Larado ... sick of this weep.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Okay, update on my '00 WJ airbag light. I finally decided to bite the bullet and take it to my dealer. Their diagnosis said the circuit to the air bag squid (inflater charge) was open. This is one of the circuits in the clockspring. Diagnosis was $125 and the part and labor came to $475. Done.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light on, horn and cruise STILL WORK