Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

AC removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default AC removal

So I cannot get one ac hose off in order to replace the heater core. I've come to the conclusion to just cut the pipe and remove/disassemble all of the ac stuff because I don't use it anyway. Is there anything I need to worry about when doing this? I know one of the hoses connects to the bottom of the radiator, do I have to worry about any fluid running out of here or causing any problems?
Old 12-28-2016, 07:40 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It shouldn't be connected to the radiator, but to the A/C condenser in front of the radiator. It's just gas, but legally should be pumped down and disposed of properly. It's against the law to just vent it to atmosphere, but people do it all the time. If you pump the system down, that hose should disconnect easily. If not, cut the hose, not the pipe. Then you can fix it later if you're so inclined.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:56 AM

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee. The smaller of the 2 ac hoses runs to the bottom of the radiator

I have one hose disconnected. That hose is the one that connects to the radiator

It snakes around to the side of the engine to the front

It's kind of hard to see but the pipe circled is the same one, connecting to the passenger side, bottom corner of the radiator. Am I just assuming it connects?

Is having the hoses disconnected from the firewall enough or do I need to take out anything else to prevent stuff leaking?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

Welcome to the forum!

The 93-98 AC condenser is located in front of the radiator. There are rigid lines and brackets on the passenger side, for the R-134a to get from the engine compartment to the front of the vehicle, wrapping around the radiator. The condenser brackets share mounting hardware w/ the radiator, but are not part of the radiator, brackets on top, pegs into grommets on the bottom.

The half-shell release tool is used to separate those AC line couplers.

Name:  AC%20Condensor%20%20Lines.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  164.5 KB
Old 12-29-2016, 10:29 AM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

It does not hook to the radiator, it hooks to the condenser just in front of the Radiator. It is a a touch smaller in length and width and about 3/4 of an inch thick. You can remove most of the parts without problems. Yes, if I was axing the system I would just cut the hoses. With luck all the freon has long since leaked out. To make it simple I would leave the evaporator and the compressor and cut the rest.

Last edited by Smoothride; 12-29-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:14 AM

Sounds good! Thank you