Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 WJ Limited Loss of power and stuttering at random and WOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 WJ Limited Loss of power and stuttering at random and WOT

Alright folks I’ve explored countless forums on my issue and nothing has fixed it so far and I’m tired of throwing parts at it.

1999 WJ Limited 4.7

2 issues possibly connected neither one I can find a fix for.

1st issue: When I punch the gas to the floor the rig bogs down. By that i mean the rpms go up but and it will go through 1st and 2nd gear then starts rapidly losing speed won’t shift into 3rd but the rpms keep climbing until almost 4K then it begins to stutter. If I just ease on the gas it will go through all gears get up to freeway speeds and runs perfectly fine. If I punch it at highway speed it kicks back down to 2nd and rapidly slows down until I let off the gas ease back on without punching it and it picks back up no issue.

2nd issue: This one only happens when I’ve been on the highway maintaining the same speed for awhile. Rig will be running perfectly fine and then suddenly lurches starts to stutter almost as if it’s misfiring or starving for fuel and won’t pick back up until I pull over come to complete stop let it idle for about 15 seconds and then I can get back on the road and it doesn’t have any issues. I have also tried just throwing it neutral when this happens and letting it idle while it still rolls but it won’t recover until I come to complete stop and let it idle for 15 seconds at a complete stop again gets back on the road fine no issue.

No codes on my reader or by turning the key 3 times

I have already replaced the TPS and MAP sensors with no change. I’ve ran cleaner through the fuel system also. As i stated I really don’t want to keep throwing parts at it.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Bogging is usually a fuel issue. Test the fuel pressure. Could be a fuel pump going or bad filter.

Here is how to test the pressure. Rree way to make sure you are getting pressure. You can rent them from Autozone. A shop can do it cheap too. I would start there.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Actually there are better how to videos but this one gives you an idea. If you end up doing this yourself, find a good how to video. The fuel system is under pressure, even when off so you need to release the pressure if you go to change filters etc. wjjeeps.com is also a good resource.