Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 grand cherokee wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 grand cherokee wont start

I just recently bought a 99 GC 4.7 it wont run,it will turn over and fire up but the second after it starts it dies.put new fuel pump,regulator,camshaft sensor., checked for spark which is fine.Tried crankshaft sensor today and still the same thing.Any ideas what I could try next
Old 02-14-2017, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Can you keep it running by holding down the gas a bit?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:14 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If it fires right up, then dies like you shut off the key, you've got the security system activated. Try locking and unlocking the driver's or passenger's door with the key a couple of times, then try again. Also try the same thing with the key fob. Do you have a valid key?
Old 02-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 GC wont start

Held the throttle down and it dies the second it fires up.in not sure that fob is good could the key be bad?
Old 02-15-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I swear, Dave has a sixth sense for these things.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Your 99 has a SKIM (Security Key Identification Module) that requires a key with an RF chip in it. When you put the key in, the SKIM reads the chip and if it's code is stored in it's memory, will allow you to drive it.

In the gauge cluster, there is a light with a symbol of a key with a slashed circle around it. If your key is recognized as being valid, that light will go out when you try to start it.

The jeep was supplied with 2 keys from the factory, a grey one and a brown one. All aftermarket keys are black. If you have the original 2 keys, you can get 4 more to self program, BUT you have to have BOTH originals. If you don't, additional keys must be programmed by the dealer with a DRBIII scan tool. I don't want to muddy the waters more, but the original keys have a built-in "secret" code that the original SKIM knows. Worst case scenario, you can buy a new SKIM and 2 keys from the dealer as a unit.

The only other thing that could be at fault is the key reader or the SKIM itself. The reader is in the ring around the ignition lock. IDK where the SKIM is, but it's nearby.

The fobs work in a similar way, there is a RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) reciever in the passenger's door panel that reads a code transmitted by the fobs. 2 originals plus up to 6 more that have to be programmed in.

All this info comes from a FSM I got from pacificcoastmanuals.com for $7.99+tax. It's a 93mb downloaded compressed pdf file with everything you need to know about your particular jeep.