Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 grand cherokee tps

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 grand cherokee tps

ok so I have a 99 GC with the 4.0 and it has had a problem with revving at start then uneven running going down the road...........stumbling and surging at stop signs then when I shut it off and restart it the engine goes to 2 grand and stays there for a few seconds then pulses up and down..........it never will idle smoothly just revs then dies back down...I've replaced the tps with a napa and then a ebay special and cleaned the IAC valve then replaced the IAC...............after each repair the truck would run better but within a few miles would be back acting the fool......no codes showing but then tonight I unplugged the TPS and it runs beautifully........or at least it did for a trip around the block............but now the check engine light is on but it runs so nice........I thought maybe the cam position sensor replacement might help so I went the cheap route on ebay and when I put the new one on the truck wouldn't start...........got another from the same place and it still wouldn't start......put my old one back on and started right up MAP sensor has been replaced but again by a ebay special so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The best advise I can give you is to replace all that ebay crap with Mopar parts. I know from experience that aftermarket parts are NOT made with the quality of construction that OEM parts are. I know they are expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:43 PM

Default TPS

I know their expensive but if they work and I don't have to keep replacing them well I'm all for that..............problem is the last time I used the dealer the wrong part was sent and being it was special order they wouldn't refund the money or replace the part as the number in the catalogue matched the part that was sent..............maybe if they have it in stock I might check it out but what kills me is how well it runs with the tps unplugged.............third jeep I've owned and I love it as it gets me to work and home and come winter time no problem but I got to do something about its running like crap.....and no im not going to ride around with a check engine light staring me in the face.........thanks for your answer though........tomorrows Monday and I don't have to go to work till late so I'll check out the dodge dealer and see what's up
Old 08-23-2015, 01:12 PM

well my my my............a new tps from napa fixed everything..............runs ten times better shifts ten times better and the fuel mileage is.....well anyway its fixed for now..........I think the real problem was the little gasket that fits in the slot to seal the tps so there are no vacuum leaks ....the old one has a tear in it that wasn't much and the vacuum was always good on the gauge .......oh well thanks for all that helped
Old 08-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I'll bet the whole problem was that little gasket from the start! Isn't THAT a kick in the head? Good to know.