Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 GCL overheating!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 GCL overheating!!

my GCL started overheating while idling in traffic. I have changed the thermostat, relay and fan motor (fan was not working before hand) and the temp sensor.

test drove the car the other day seemed OK. Heading to work today and temp goes up to 210! Thermostat is opening the way it should.

Is it the water pump or a clogged radiator - any suggestions on what to do next?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by zuma68
my GCL started overheating while idling in traffic. I have changed the thermostat, relay and fan motor (fan was not working before hand) and the temp sensor.

test drove the car the other day seemed OK. Heading to work today and temp goes up to 210! Thermostat is opening the way it should.

Is it the water pump or a clogged radiator - any suggestions on what to do next?

Um 210F is normal ... My Jeep always sits at 210f, If im sitting in traffic and its hot out and i have the AC on the thing will sometimes get to 220f.. Thats normal
Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 AM

Don’t feel alone you’re not the only one with this problem.
I have had my 99 GCL since…99. I have noticed that during very hot summer months climbing hills or in stop in go traffic with the AC on high the temp gauge climbs to 240+ and I will have to pull over. Personally I think it’s because Jeep of that year installed a too small of a radiator system to accommodate the V8 4.7 engine plus AC. I’ve heard that there is a ‘desert kit’ cooling system with a better cooling system which is sold but I think it is a myth. Hey how come those Saudi’s bought Jeeps~ maybe it was the Austrian GCL version. Anyways this year at 158,000 miles I put in a new radiator, cap, fan, thermostat, hoses lower + upper, A/C compressor, and A/C condenser hose, oh and am putting on a new oil pan with gasket next week. However after having all the new stuff put on and driving on highway the engine will stay cool (180-210) with the AC blasting…until I start doing some small incline climbing with stop and go traffic. Then the engine temp started climbing back up to the 250 260. Outside temp was 91-95 deg. So I had to stop.
Next week I’m taking my Jeep back to the Jeep Mechanics to see if they know what else might be the reason or how to alleviate this problem without having to put air ducts in or removing the hood. but I also read http://www.jeepforum.com/ it maybe a clutch fan problem.