Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 GC limited transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 GC limited transfer case

this weekend i was under the jeep replacing the muffler and investigated some leaks.

1st the transfer case was wet so i was looking at it and noticed the yolk had been replaced at some point and it seemed to me that there was oil leaking out of the splines. Is there a cap supposed to be in the splines and if so where do i get one. also i was thinking i could just weld a cap over the end of the splines on the yolk is this possible? also there is some leakage coming from the one of the gaskets toward the rear of the vehicle

2nd I need to replace the oil pan (this looks like a B@#tch) Im sure i have to drop the Y pipe so ill be spraying the bolts with PB each day for the week prior. Now do i need a windage tray or is it part of the gasket? some insight on this would be great. this job looks pretty straight forward just some tough nuts to crack. pun intended.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:36 PM

i found out that the windagetray/gasket is one piece I have the parts on order for the oil pan.

anyone have info on the transfer case?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 AM

So i tackled this over the weekend first we started trying to remove the oil pan, we jacked the truck up as high as we could and secured it under the frame thinking we could slide the pan forward with the suspension dropped, without removing the y pipe. we had trouble with a few bolts and decided to try to remove the Y before we fight with everything else trying to avoid it, lets see how those flange bolts are. they spun right off in 5 mins with a heavy impact and the universals. my pipe was already cut so i removed it completely it took a little efforet but was worth it.

I left in the starter and the transmision lines they did not effect me at all.

All my pan bolts came out with ease but the pan was stuck fast I pried it down( most people advise against this) I was careful going under the gasket, between the gasket and pan, knowing i was replacing gasket/windage without question. this also allowed we to remove the pan leaving the pickup tube in place. I had easy acces then to remove the oil pick up tube. Then i used my hands and ripped the windage tray out with out damaging the mating surface on the block.