Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

99 GC Air Vents stopped working :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 GC Air Vents stopped working :(

Hi all new to Jeep just recently got a 99 Grand Cherokee Limited. Awesome car, love it so far.

Anyway to the issue. I was carrying a pillar post and when I had to break abruptly the post hit the stereo/vents area of the dash. I didnt think much of it however, now the air vents dont work.

So far the only work i did to it was recharge the A/C, had the indicators stop working so had to pull the relay and re-solder the connections

Symptoms:
- air vents blow air only when driving (but the speed of fan is irrelevant)
- blows more depending on speed I am going (recirculation not engaged)
- When on A/C and Recirc no air blows out
- Occasionally when i give the top of the dash (above the radio) a generous hammer fist it starts blowing air according to the fan speed I set

I have researched, many people say its the vaccum hose, some say its the switch but this is for people who's vents wont work on a certain setting. Whereas, mine is consistent through most settings with the exception being when the A/C on and Recirc on (in which case there is NO air out of vents). I appreciate all the help.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Check to see if your dash vents work on heat. It may be the recirc door isn't opening. That's at the very top of the air plenum behind the glove box. With the recirc door closed, no air gets into the plenum to blow out.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:30 PM

Year: 1999

I have pretty much the same issue. I'm guessing it's a vacuum hose but I've been too lazy to track it down yet.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:13 AM

Hey guys thanks for the replies,

Ok so on heat the vents work but only when i drive. Or maybe minimally when idling. On recirc NOT AT ALL. Sometimes when i switch between modes (defrost, feet, feet & cabin, etc) there is a single clicking sound that can be heard form behind the dash somewhere. I think its behind the passenger side. There is a really odd smell, along the lines of Manure sometimes!! I remember this smell was there al the time before the vents stopped working.

UPDATE::

Now even the banging on top of the radio area doesnt make the vents work. It has officially stopped working. The vents only work when driving, when parked dont think any air comes out (or minimally). On the highway it works like if the fan speed switch was in the middle but moving that dial does nothing.

Could this be the blower motor not blowing air in? it might be the vaccum hose any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:47 AM
Old fart with a wrench

The smell may be caused by vegetable matter (leaves, pine needles, etc) in your air plenum decaying like compost. I've even seen mouse nests in car air filters if they've been sitting for a long time. I know the blend door on WJs is operated by a stepper motor (electrical), but IDK if the recirc door is. It might be vacuum. The blend door is the center temp control ****. I'm pretty sure the right **** is vacuum controlled.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the response guys, Ive been swamped at work this whole week i plan on getting it checked out today or at least inquiring about it at the NAPA in front of my work. I will get back to you guys when i get the info.

cheers,
S
Old 05-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Check out wjjeeps.com for lots of good info on your model.