Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

98 jeep grand cherokee build

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 jeep grand cherokee build

I have a 98 jeep grand cherokee laradeo, I want to build it into a trail/camping dig but still a dd I want a lift but I've seen everything from guys going 2.5-10" what is the happy medium I was thinking 3.5" and what should be done mechanically to make it more trail ready? I'm new to the jeep game.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:54 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

6 or V8? What kind of terrain will you be using it in? Sand, mud, rocks? These things make a difference on what to do. Also, what is your budget?
Old 02-14-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to CF!

6 or V8? What kind of terrain will you be using it in? Sand, mud, rocks? These things make a difference on what to do. Also, what is your budget?
It's the v8 and being in foot hill's of colorado mud rock's I've never been on the trails be for but going camping and hunting that's the normal find in the terrain
Old 02-14-2016, 05:00 PM

Another question for a new guy how do you know the body type of the jeep I see guys refer to them like xj,zj,wj which one is it and how Can you tell?
Old 02-14-2016, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Dustin Kunau
Another question for a new guy how do you know the body type of the jeep I see guys refer to them like xj,zj,wj which one is it and how Can you tell?
You've got a ZJ....

Here's the break down:
Grand Cherokees
ZJ 93-98
WJ 99-04
WK 05-10
WKII 11- present

The XJ body style is the "Boxy" Cherokee. they were made from 84-01

Let us know what your budget is, height will depend on everything else, SYE, long arm, short arm, etc. do you have any idea what tire size you want to run?

love to see the Grand Cherokees get built... ask questions this is a great forum for knowledge.....
Old 02-14-2016, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by caronaxtr
You've got a ZJ....

Here's the break down:
Grand Cherokees
ZJ 93-98
WJ 99-04
WK 05-10
WKII 11- present

The XJ body style is the "Boxy" Cherokee. they were made from 84-01

Let us know what your budget is, height will depend on everything else, SYE, long arm, short arm, etc. do you have any idea what tire size you want to run?

love to see the Grand Cherokees get built... ask questions this is a great forum for knowledge.....
I dont have a huge budget having a family but I can afford to sink money into it, I don't wanna go straight up crawler with it I want to run 33s hopefully and whats sye long arm short arm?
Old 02-14-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have a huge budget having a family but I can afford to sink money into it, I don't wanna go straight up crawler with it I want to run 33s hopefully and whats sye long arm short arm?
SYE is a slip yoke eliminator. You won't need one of those on a ZJ
For running 33s I would recommend going with a 4.5 inch lift. Iron rock off-road, rubicon express are good quality companies, along with a few others.
Do some research on the difference between short and long arms, and why you would run either or.
33s are the size tire where you really ought to regear your axles, and 4.5 inches of lift is borderline long arm territory. Your steering geometry will also be out of whack at 4.5.

Lots of things to learn and think about, good luck!
Old 02-14-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 5speedZJ
SYE is a slip yoke eliminator. You won't need one of those on a ZJ
For running 33s I would recommend going with a 4.5 inch lift. Iron rock off-road, rubicon express are good quality companies, along with a few others.
Do some research on the difference between short and long arms, and why you would run either or.
33s are the size tire where you really ought to regear your axles, and 4.5 inches of lift is borderline long arm territory. Your steering geometry will also be out of whack at 4.5.

Lots of things to learn and think about, good luck!
Thanks for the help
Old 02-14-2016, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

My 95 ZJ with a 4" Rough Country long arm lift and Kenda Klever 32" mud terrains on 8" wide/3.75 back spacing D windows.

My wife isn't the best with a camera, but you get the idea.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
My 95 ZJ with a 4" Rough Country long arm lift and Kenda Klever 32" mud terrains on 8" wide/3.75 back spacing D windows.

My ZJ at the High Lakes Spring 2015 - YouTube

My wife isn't the best with a camera, but you get the idea.
Thank you that helps a lot now I have an idea what in looking at. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Thank you that helps a lot now I have an idea what in looking at. Thank you.
People will bad mouth Rough Country lifts all the time, but quite honestly I haven't found any faults in the quality or performance of this lift. You can't beat the price of 1500 bucks for a complete system. The only things I added were longer front brake hoses, a 2" drop pitman arm, and a Rough Country tie rod. I will be adding Johnny joints to replace the bushings on the axle for the upper arms, the bracket on the right side is a little tweaked and the bushing won't stay seated.not the fault of the lift kit.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
People will bad mouth Rough Country lifts all the time, but quite honestly I haven't found any faults in the quality or performance of this lift. You can't beat the price of 1500 bucks for a complete system. The only things I added were longer front brake hoses, a 2" drop pitman arm, and a Rough Country tie rod. I will be adding Johnny joints to replace the bushings on the axle for the upper arms, the bracket on the right side is a little tweaked and the bushing won't stay seated.not the fault of the lift kit.
I had a rough county lift on my 75 power wagon and loved it but what other mods than suspension should one look into being in the rockies
Old 02-15-2016, 01:29 AM
CF Veteran

Upgrading the cooling system is never a bad idea. I have an all aluminum two row radiator, ditched the engine driven fan in favor of an electric fan from a Ford Taurus. If you do night wheelin you should consider some auxiliary lighting.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would start with a full tune up and fix any problems you know it has.If you need help finding parts i know a lot of sites from armor to light mounts.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I would start with a full tune up and fix any problems you know it has.If you need help finding parts i know a lot of sites from armor to light mounts.
The only real mechanical problems it has is the dash lights short out and the heater doesn't work all the time it just had a tune up done. It needs new body molding and those things but I don't see any point in putting plastic back on just to have it break again

Quick Reply: 98 jeep grand cherokee build