Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'97 Cherokee electric problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: v6
Default '97 Cherokee electric problem

I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Laradeo V6. Sometimes I turn on the key and nothing happens. Then I turn it again and the electric power comes on, but it only clicks once when I try to turn it over. After trying this several times it starts. I turn the steering wheel, and the ignition and move the shifter, I don't know if any of this helps or not or which one is doing the trick. A couple of times while driving, it has just turned off, engine, all electric power and everything. This only lasts a second and the power comes back on and I can restart it. Strangely, after I have this starting problem things like the 'distance to empty' gauge goes to zero and other electrical stuff seems to be 'reset'. However, things like the clock and radio presets are still the same.
The check engine light flashed for a bit yesterday, which was a first, but that dang light has been on for years.
I dont even know where to start. Just replaced the idler pully and serpentine belt and it is tight. This did start happening a few days after that. Could it be the battery? It may e time for a new one but I don't want to do that to fix this problem if its not the battery. The neutral safety switch comes to mind but I dont think that makes sense.
Any ideas??
Old 06-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L Petrol/Gas

Intermittent electrical faults can be a nightmare to fix. But if your problem were simply a poor connection within the wiring or a component, I would expect it to fail permanently at some point.

From your description, my bet would be the shift selector switch – all automatics have some form of switch which detects that the vehicle is not in drive before allowing the engine to crank (under battery power). This switch is normally configured in series with the starter relay. If you think about the description of your problem – it is rather like you have the shift in drive, and so the vehicle will not turn over – by moving the shift, back & forth, you are operating this switch, and maybe causing it to operate correctly.

To test my theory, next time you encounter the problem, only change the shift position and see if this clears the problem. However if it does indeed fix the problem, I have no idea where the switch is located on a Laradeo.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 PM

I agree, somewhat, and will try that when it happens again. But what about it just turning off when I am driving. And what about some of the electrical 'resets' that go on. Im betting on your theory though. Is that a difficult fix??
Old 06-15-2010, 02:36 PM

Engine: 4.7L Petrol/Gas

Having posted my theory, I then began to have second thoughts. Having the shift in the wrong position would not prevent the electrics in general from powering up (only prevent the engine cranking). Maybe you have a poor connection within the ignition barrel. I doubt very much that it is the battery, but recently friends have advised me of sudden battery failure; whereby the battery fails - having shown no prior signs of sluggish starting. Most garages will conduct a battery test for free, but make sure they are not taking you for a ride, Jeep batteries don’t come cheap.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:20 PM

OK new development. This is the second time in about 3 days for this. I went to get in the Jeep and there was a clicking sound like a fast clock, which sounded like it was coming from behind or below the glove box. I tried to start it and nothing happened. I turned the key back and forth and the clicking sound doubled in speed. The first time, I turned the key back and forth and the sound stopped and the car started. The second time, I tried the key thing and it didn't work. I trued to move the shifter and it was stuck in park (yes, my foot was on the break). I turned the key over and over and the steering wheel and tried to move the shifter. Nothing. Finally, the shifter started moving and the clicking stopped, but the car wouldn't start. I put the charger on the battery for like 5 minutes and it started. What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is goin on??
Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Radio need only 5v to retain memory. The "clicking noise" it is indication of low voltage on solenoid. I would check the battery and see if you have some loose wire in your ignition switch.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0

You need to start your troubleshooting with a good fully charged battery. Have your battery load tested to see if it is good. Check your battery cables make sure they are good, clean and tight at the battery, starter and engine ground. Then you can do some testing.

First test I would do is test for battery voltage at the starter solenoid terminal. When you turn the key to start, you should have battery voltage at the solenoid terminal. If you, consistently get battery voltage, you may have a starter problem. If you get no battery voltage, low voltage or intermittent voltage you have a problem in the starting circuit. This problem could be the neutral-park switch, the ignition switch,relay or wiring. More tests would be needed.