Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

97 Cherokee dies after a few seconds!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 Cherokee dies after a few seconds!

So I bought a 97 Limited Edition GC on the weekend, it has a few problems that were trying to get to the bottom of, I'll start by adding the first.

It now starts but cuts out 2/3 seconds later, sometimes it starts and runs fine and I can turn it off and on several times after getting it started. We had no troubles starting it when we went to see the Jeep, again when we loaded it onto the trailer, and again loading it off the trailer. The following morning however, my Dad unlocked it (front doors only, still getting used to the double clicking for all 4) and stuck his hand through to the back doors and unlocked them from the inside out.. I was wondering, could he have triggered some sort of anti-theft device? If so, is there anyway to turn it off or re-set it?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:21 AM

Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 8 cyl 5.2 ltr

Sounds the security system was tripped. If you have the FOB you should be able to turn it off. If the FOB is not turning it off try locking and unlocking the passenger front door. That is how I got it to turn off on my 95.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:27 PM

We've tried locking and unlocking doors with the key and with the fob, still doing the same thing.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a security light on the dash anywhere?

Do you have multiple keys?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:08 PM

I only have the fob to lock and unlock the car, and the key to start it. I will check the dash when I get home.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: v8

unlock the passenger side door with the key
Old 03-25-2015, 02:01 AM

So far we've tried locking and unlocking the front two doors on the fob and then starting it, locking and unlocking all 4 doors with fob then starting it. And last night I tried unlocking the drivers door with the key then starting it - still starting then cutting out 2 seconds later.
I'll be home in about an hour so I'll try unlocking the passenger door with the key and checking the dash lights but not feeling very hopeful.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

On my '97 ZJ, there was a little red LED on top of the dash that flashed any time the alarm was tripped and the horns were supposed to honk but they were burnt out.

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-25-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:32 PM

There's a little red light that flashed on the passenger side of the dash, but the horns don't sound - though I havent actually tried to see if they work. Only the ignition makes that beeping sound until you turn the car on which I was told is normal.

Will try unlocking the passenger door with the key today, if that doesn't work I will get my Dad to un-hook the battery.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by rangermonroe
unlock the passenger side door with the key
Still nothing unlocking the pass anger door with the key.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by dave1123
On my '97 ZJ, there was a little red LED on top of the dash that flashed any time the alarm was tripped and the horns were supposed to honk but they were burnt out.

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.
The little red light on the passenger side dash is still flashing, we just assumed that was normal as we never noticed it before. We're new to the Jeep scene so there's so many buttons and gadgets were still discovering.
I read on one of the other forums that when their Jeep's Anti Theft device is triggered the horn and lights will go bezerk, but we never had any of that. It just runs for 2 seconds and then dies, but then sometimes it just decides to start and it runs perfectly, and I can turn it on and off several times after that.. Until I leave it for a few minutes and try start it and it won't.

Surely I shouldn't have to disarm the battery for it to re-set, what if I'm out and about and gets activated and the car won't start again? I can't imagine taking the battery out is the only option.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:22 AM

Thank you for your help everyone, I have disarmed the alarm. Problem 1 fixed, 3 more to go! :-)
Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by y00rkshir333
Thank you for your help everyone, I have disarmed the alarm. Problem 1 fixed, 3 more to go! :-)
Great. How did you do it? I'm buying a 2001 wj and is doing the same thing. He thought it needed a new computer that's why he's selling it and cheap lol
Old 03-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

There's no light on the dash on the WJ to let you know the alarm is set. I've heard horror stories about after-market remote start units interfering with the factory security system. I have one on my WJ that was installed by the PO and only used once by the dealer that sold me the jeep. The first thing I did was take the batteries out of the remote start fobs. I'm afraid to have it removed because I don't want to start any problems because of it.

The only problems I've had is setting the alarm or hitting the Panic button accidentally by squeezing the key fob with other stuff in my hand or in my pocket.

The jeep you're looking at may have a failed ASD relay. You can substitute a headlight relay to see if that's the problem, AFTER YOU BUY IT! LOL!!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by mavkain

Great. How did you do it? I'm buying a 2001 wj and is doing the same thing. He thought it needed a new computer that's why he's selling it and cheap lol
He very well could be right about the computer, mine had the same issue. With that being said there are numerous things that can cause that issue 1-the chip in the key could be going bad . 2- body control module. 3-skim module (sentry key immobilizer -the alarm system ) .lastly your computer Which will need to be reprogrammed once it's been replace to recignize your keys. This can be done by a dealer or quaified locksmith

Quick Reply: 97 Cherokee dies after a few seconds!