Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 zj 4.0 wont start, please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 zj 4.0 wont start, please help

Hello. I new here and I've done some research to try to figure out what could be wrong with my jeep. The problem is that I cant find the exact symptoms on any of the posts I look at. Ok so Ill try to describe the problems to the best of my knowledge.
sorry in advance for the long post

There is a transmission slip (i think) going from 2nd to 3rd, it sometimes just wont shift. Sometimes I can let off of the gas a little and it will click into gear but other times it just wont shift out of 2nd. I knotice this problem more when its cold outside, when its hot it seems to shift better.

Ok on to the next problem last summer when I bought it, It would stall out on my while I was driving. It could be at low or high speeds. and it would take forever to get it started back up. the engine would crank it just wouldnt fire.

I dealt with the problem into the winter when I noticed that the temperature would barley rise so I checked the thermostat and to my surprised, IT DIDN'T HAVE A THERMOSTAT. I thought this could be part of alot of my problems so I installed a new T-stat. It didn't have anymore stalling problems all through the winter, I thought the problem was fixed.

now that the weather is getting hotter I started to have the stalling problem again. its really dangerous sometimes like when the engine cuts out on me while im on the highway, and quite embarrasing when i have to crank the engine 30 times in public to get it started. Also some times when it stalls, i will get a backfire, other times not. (one time A guy ran over to me because he thought I got shot!)

ok now on to the final problem. the other night I had to run out to the store. it stalled out on me once on the way but started back up relatively easy. I got to the store and when I left it wouldn't start. I was there trying for at least an hour (because of this I had to forfeit a $40 online poker tourney that I had registered for before i left, boo.) it finally started, but it stalled out on me 4 times on my way home. what was normally a 5 min drive took me 2hrs. and the next morning (yesterday) it would not start at all. it would crank just not start, sometimes there would be a lull in the crank like the battery was struggling, sometimes not.

One more thing, sorry, the check engine light is not on but it comes on every now and then. I get codes that say multiple misfires detected and that the pcu was disconected from the batter? I never have disconnected the pcu, and the battery is brand new. any ideas?

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much
Old 05-24-2009, 11:22 AM

ok heres a bit of an update. My jeep hasn't started in 2 days, just cranks and cranks but wouldn't fire up. so I went out there and unplugged and plugged back in the TPS, IAC, CPS and MAP, I also switched around all of the relays that were the same size. I went and tried to start it and she fired right up! I let her run for a bit then shut it off, then if fired right back up. So im convinced the problem is not with the fuel pump or fuel supply in general. If I were smart, I would have unplugged each of the sensors one by one to diagnose but I didn't. So what do you guys think the main culprit is. CPS? or any of the other sensors? I have a feeling this is just a temporary fix. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:36 PM

anyone?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when it just cranks, are you getting spark or injector pulse?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:45 PM

I assume so because its fireing up pretty good now that i unplugged and replugged all of the sensors
Old 05-24-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mattpar
when it just cranks, are you getting spark or injector pulse?
how do I check for injector pulse?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I think it was the Auto Shut Down relay, which controls the fuel pump. You switched the bad relay for a good one and took care of that problem, but now you'll have another problem until you find the bad relay and replace it. JMO
Old 05-27-2009, 06:20 PM

ok, im at a loss, yesterday the check engin light was on, it wouldn't start and in the rare event that it would start, i couldn't back out of the driveway without it stalling. today I fire it u on the first try and let it run for about 20 min in the driveway. the check engine light was off and I drove it aroung for 45 min with no problems. wtf? any ideas
Old 05-27-2009, 06:24 PM

also, im not sure if this other problem is related or not. when Im driving, every time I slow down at a light or around a corner, the oil pressure gauge goes down and the check gauges light comes on. as soon as I start driving again the pressure gauge goes back up and the check guages light goes off? any ideas? is this related to my stalling/no start problems? thanks for any help.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:26 AM

Engine: 4.0
Default try this

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee that had a stalling problem too. I think I may have found the problem. Check the 3 ground wires that are mounted to the bracket that attaches the coil to the engine block. also check the ground wire mounted to the side of the engine block just behind the distributor. Took these apart and cleaned them, haven't had a problem since. It's only been a few weeks, but it runs much smoother. Also pick up a few of those relays in the under hood fuse box, ($9 @ local parts store). those are notorious for going bad. Put a new relay in the ASD, and Fuel pump slots. I have found that those relays can stick from time to time.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by kujo
also, im not sure if this other problem is related or not. when Im driving, every time I slow down at a light or around a corner, the oil pressure gauge goes down and the check gauges light comes on. as soon as I start driving again the pressure gauge goes back up and the check guages light goes off? any ideas? is this related to my stalling/no start problems? thanks for any help.
The "Check Gauges" light is to alert you that you have an issue with your oil level, engine temp, or charging system and should check the gauges to see where the problem is. Since the oil pressure drops at low RPMs and going around corners, I'd say your oil level is low. Check your oil with the dipstick while engine is off and vehicle is sitting on level ground. Add necessary amount of new engine oil to bring the oil level up to between the ADD and FULL marks on the dipstick, but never above the FULL mark.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by jouzts77
I have a 96 Grand Cherokee that had a stalling problem too. I think I may have found the problem. Check the 3 ground wires that are mounted to the bracket that attaches the coil to the engine block. also check the ground wire mounted to the side of the engine block just behind the distributor. Took these apart and cleaned them, haven't had a problem since. It's only been a few weeks, but it runs much smoother. Also pick up a few of those relays in the under hood fuse box, ($9 @ local parts store). those are notorious for going bad. Put a new relay in the ASD, and Fuel pump slots. I have found that those relays can stick from time to time.
Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try this weekend, Ive set aside the whole weekend to figure this thing out
Old 06-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
The "Check Gauges" light is to alert you that you have an issue with your oil level, engine temp, or charging system and should check the gauges to see where the problem is. Since the oil pressure drops at low RPMs and going around corners, I'd say your oil level is low. Check your oil with the dipstick while engine is off and vehicle is sitting on level ground. Add necessary amount of new engine oil to bring the oil level up to between the ADD and FULL marks on the dipstick, but never above the FULL mark.
The oil level is good, thats why I cant figure out why the guage is dropping on me when I slow down??
Old 06-06-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles on your ZJ?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

My old '94 ZJ with the 4.0L did the same things yours is doing when the computer died..