Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 XJ zero electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 XJ zero electrical power

Hi, guys.
Three weeks ago I installed a remote starter, works fine. Two weeks ago I resoldered connectors inside PCM, been fine. To get around the security issues for the remote starter, I must open the door with the key fob before I engage remote starter. Works fine. This morning, I remote started it, it ran the normal ten minutes, then shut down. I opened the previously-unlocked drivers door, then I hit the power door lock switch on the drivers door to unlock the remainder of the doors. When I did, the actuators sounded "funny", kinda like "unlock - light", not a full THUMP, just a kind of wimpy sound. Accompanying that, heard another faint sound that I fear was a sizzle. Being dark outside, I could still see the illuminating lights on on the open passenger door and in the overhaed console remained on after I hit the lock switch. But, when I put the key in the ignition, they turned off like they normally do (or perhaps when I engaged the ignition, really can't remember). BUT, when I engaged the starter, all lights went off and I got no click, no whir, no electrical fan start up, no radio, no nothing. Didn't try the headlights, dang near missed a ride to work.

I've been searching for likelihood of a fuse that would control everything, and had to get a ride to work with my wife in her ricer (ugh) and am catching it over the Jeep. I need to find what is blown (will check this evening), then figure out what's on that circuit and look for a short or something else. When I put in the remote starter, I thought that I encountered no issues (I've done three now), and it has been fully functional. I did remove driver's door panel and tried to bypass the lock sensor to bypass the security by placing a bit of wire in the plug - that failed, I removed wire and reconnected the connector. All seemed fine after that.

Any ideas?

Thanks much!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but check your positive (+) battery cable clamp. The lead can stretch and feel tight, but not make good contact.

ALSO, This is the Grand Cherokee section of the forum.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thanks, Dave. This is a ZJ, my bad, my 98 is XJ, was swapping between fora.

Think I got it, battery connections were good, dead horses need beating. fuses in PDC all good, had 2 volts input to PDC and when I moved the harness from battery/alternator - that three way junction behind alternator - stuff crackled and came to life. I separated, cleaned and put a light coat of dielectric grease on connector behind battery under the PDC and life seems good for now. Maybe this will help someone else - reading solutions on the forum has really been a help to me! Thank you very much!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That's good! My next suggestion was to check all your connections from the battery and flex all the harnesses.