Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 v8 zj not charging

Old 11-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Model: Cherokee
Default 96 v8 zj not charging

Ok so im working on my 96 zj with a v8. The alternator doesnt charge. Took the alternator apart and cleaned it all up. Buddy had a look at it and it and everything internally seems to be in ok shape but it does not charge on the vehicle. Trying to see if its a wiring problem or alt problem before I take it off again and run to autozone or advance and have them test it.

Have power at the big terminal to the battery, even ran a new bigger cable straight to battery. Ground is good. Now the field terminals, from what I can gather, one is supposed to be ground and the other +. Check and no power at either one. Take a jumper wire to power on one and ground the other and one way it pops a fuse, the other way it still doesnt charge.

Anyone have a better way to check it on the vehicle before I bring it in and have it tested or does it sound like a bad alternator?

My buddy has an extra alt out of a 75 chevy that should mount up the same with a pulley swap that we can wire up and know it will work, or will we have to do something with the pcm to make it all work?
Old 11-01-2015, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Do not try to install an old Chevy alternator in your ZJ. Just replace it with a new one and be done with it. You're only making things worse monkeying around with it and Jerry rigging stuff.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Banned

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I too say not to retrofit a Chevy one. Change your grounds. That should help your charging problem
Old 11-02-2015, 07:52 PM

I forgot to mention this is only an offroad toy. A buddy has a chevy alt sitting around I can put on that will bolt up, just needs pulleys swapped and I know I can get that one charging.

But I did take the alt to autozone and it failed the test within like 2 seconds. I just dont have over $100 to pick up a new alt for just an offroad toy right now.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Save up some money and get the right part. You might even try the local auto recycler and find a fairly new one for less money.