Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 limited front brake calipers - phenolic or metal

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L
Default 96 limited front brake calipers - phenolic or metal

The left front caliper on my 96 limited sometimes sticks and heats up the brake - usually if it has not been driven for awhile - and then seems to be OK again once it cools down. I am thinking I need to replace the caliper to prevent this and that I should match the OEM piston material but don't know if it has a metal or pheonlic piston from the factory.

Any one know which material is OEM or have any recommendations on which I should buy? The odd thing is that two 90s Chrysler AWD minivans I've had also developed sticking calipers and both were on the left front too and I had to replace the calipers on both of them.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, this might help. My '00 WJ has the Teves dual piston calipers and I've had no problems with them for 125K miles. They had steel pistons in them. At 150K, I replaced both calipers with ones with phenolic pistons. THEN I had one piston in the right caliper stick and run hot. I replaced it with a steel piston caliper, but now the left one is squeaking until you apply the brakes. Not badly, just that little squeaking mouse.

Basically, I'm saying I haven't had much luck with phenolic pistons and won't buy them again. Many people say they've had trouble with the Teves system warping rotors, but until I replaced the calipers, I had had no problems with the front brakes. The only reason I had replaced them to start with was the mileage and one scored rotor because of worn out pads. My bad!

Also, my '97 ZJ had steel piston calipers in it for the 185K miles that I owned it. I WILL say, keep the pins well lubricated!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by dave1123
Okay, this might help. My '00 WJ has the Teves dual piston calipers and I've had no problems with them for 125K miles. They had steel pistons in them. At 150K, I replaced both calipers with ones with phenolic pistons. THEN I had one piston in the right caliper stick and run hot. I replaced it with a steel piston caliper, but now the left one is squeaking until you apply the brakes. Not badly, just that little squeaking mouse.

Basically, I'm saying I haven't had much luck with phenolic pistons and won't buy them again. Many people say they've had trouble with the Teves system warping rotors, but until I replaced the calipers, I had had no problems with the front brakes. The only reason I had replaced them to start with was the mileage and one scored rotor because of worn out pads. My bad! Also, my '97 ZJ had steel piston calipers in it for the 185K miles that I owned it. I WILL say, keep the pins well lubricated!
OK, Thanks, Sounds like the extra $10 for the steel piston caliper is the way to go.