Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 Grand Cherokee rear axle ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Grand Cherokee rear axle ?'s

I just bought a '96 GC with a bad rear axle. Inside the Dana 35 (I think) I found pieces of the bearings and some stamped metal pieces that appear to be the cage holding the rollers in the bearings. This was all started by a leaking front pinion seal. There was gear lube all over the underside of the truck from the front of the diff back. Also there was lube dripping down the carrier from the pinion area. My questions are;
1. Is it worth the ease of rebuilding to go ahead and pull the axle out of the vehicle and do it on jackstands? I know it would be easier but is it worth pulling out.
2. If I get the ring & pinoin out and it's bad too, I'll be inclined to purchase a used unit from a yard. If I happen to go that route will any 93-98 rear end work? My GC has the 3:73 gears and rear disk brakes. If I can't find one with disks, will the disk brake parts fit onto an axle with drum brakes?
3. I don't think it has a limited slip rear as I didn't see anything that appeared like a trac loc unit with clutch plates like in a Ford 8.8 rear. If I wanted to add a limited slip diff, what do I need to change?

Vehicle Specs:
1996 Grand Cherokee Limited
4.0 I-6
Command Trac 4WD system
3:73 gear ratio

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim.