Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

96 Grand cherokee interchange

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Grand cherokee interchange

So ive bought a 98 ( I think) Dakota 4x4 to rod the tranny for my 96 Grand Cherokee that I had a 5.9 installed in. The Dakota was a 318, so it has the 44 RE. I decided to settle for that instead of waiting for a 46 RE. The engine bay had caught fire and totally burnt up the complete engine bay and wiring as far back as the tranny.
Then I see an add for a rebuilt 46 RE on craigslist for 600, man what timing. I cant get it now, spread to thin, but I posted the add in south eastern for sale on here as a favor.
I don't think my 5.9 is to much for the 44 RE anyway until I add some power, but I don't think a daily driver needs a whole lot more power, its not a racer or an extreme rock crawler.
Anyway I have a 2000 Durango with no reverse, and my current jeep tranny slips in all forward gears, so I may change some internal parts around if possible for a working 2 wd tranny for the Durango.
Anyway since I have these two extra vehicles at my disposal what could I rob from them to improve my grand Cherokee? Axles? drive shafts? I just got a killer set of 6 lug wheels, lol. The axles seem heavier but the front gears seem like they are about 2.00 in the Dakota, can that be right?
Wish the pictures would work better.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:29 AM
Seasoned Member

That Durango could turn into a street sleeper project with real power or it could turn into a parts vehicle or junk yard, the Dakota is going straight to the crusher as soon as I finish getting tranny out if anyone needs anything from either of them.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Weird thing about Dakota, seems to be a posi rear end with 4.11 gears or so, while the open front seems about 2.08 or something. The Dakota has a 10 bolt rear cover, and the Durango has a 12 bolt. my jeep has a completely different housing altogether. I know this site is about grand Cherokee and I mostly am also, but I'm sure someone on here knows all about the whole Chrysler/jeep family
Old 04-25-2017, 08:57 AM
Seasoned Member

First problem, and I knew about this before just forgot, is the starter is on opposite side on the dodge from jeep. So I guess I have to look at what I can change without completely swapping internals to make it work in the jeep.
I didn't look really close yet, but see the 4x4 trannies have cases bolted together while the 2 wd is solid, If I find that's not true I'm just going to use the good 44 RE in the Durango and hold out for the better 46RE for my jeep. Just have to see when I have them all laying out side by side.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 AM
Seasoned Member

I would say if you ever work on a burnt vehicle, wash it first, this is really nasty stuff, lol. the Dakota is a very hard vehicle to work on and this burnt stuff is itchy.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:47 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

And probably toxic!