Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

95 Grand Cherokee Laredo - Making it Last

Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6-cylinder
Question 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo - Making it Last

Hello Fellow Jeep owners, enthusiasts, and mechanics,

I own a 95 GC Laredo with a 4.0L inline 6 that purrs like a cat despite having 195,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, it has an oil leak that is assumed to be an O ring or valve stem seal. I was told by mechanics that it is not worth fixing because "it will never be the same" and to simply keep a case of oil in the trunk and fill it up when in need. Is this necessarily true?

On the highway, it guzzles about a quart for every 1000 miles. In the city it's a quart for every 300miles.

Everything else is mint. However, now when I put it in Fulltime 4wd, the VIC says "service 4wd switch". I've read that it's either a dirty connector / switch and is supposedly under $40 for the part OR a bad VIC OR (forgot the 3rd one but it didn't sound seriously expensive).

I think it's the actual switch because when it beeps, it actually gets OUT of 4wd. When I take it out of 4wd then I can "hear" the 4wd on for a few min and then it actually turns off. So the 4wd actually works when it's on but it seems like the Jeep is having a challenge "recognizing" whether it's on or off and I believe it's due to the switch.

My question is - Is this part repair labor intensive? I don't want to go to a dealer due to their hourly rate. However, I don't want to be swindled by the mechanic if he says it's a 3hr job when it's not.

Please note, I would like for the truck to last at best until Spring of 2010. Otherwise, I plan on selling it as is when I get a new car.

Please advise and thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

what your mechanic told you makes no sense to me..a valve stem seal?? i would get a second opinion..does it leak oil on the ground or use oil?do you have a 242 t-case and are you saying it goes in and out of 4wd without moving the lever?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L 6-cylinder

I may be misquoting him, I just know he used the word valve seals. The term "stem" was beyond me.

The truck uses up the oil (sometimes it stinks like it's burning it especially if sitting idle in traffic during 80degree weather or humid day). There is no leak anywhere. Just smoke depending on the humidity and/or weather outside. Yes, that may sound crazy but it's the truth. It just smokes during humid and/or hot days more so than any other type of weather.

I don't know what kind of T-case I have and yes, it gets itself OUT of 4wd when the "service 4wd" message comes up. When I shift it back into regular drive mode, the 4wd system goes back on or "in" for a few minutes before it recognizes that it is NOT in 4wd and then it turns off.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

its probably the switch in the TC which you could change,
as far as the using oil thing. Probably not worth fixing, as even if it is the leaking through at the valves, the rest of the engine will be worn out too. If it don't bother you that much just drive it. Cheapest fix would likely be finding a used low milage engine and doing a swap. You could try to use a heavier oil it may not burn it up as quick.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L in all

Valve seals aren't all that bad to do...

As for your Transfer Case problem, I have no idea about those electrically shifted thingies...
Old 01-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

200,000 miles, I would guess would be more then just valve seals. But yes valve seals themselves are not the worst thing to do. Most cases can be done with the head left on. I have tried on engines with more racey springs and was able to do on the car. Those mushy springs would probable be easy.
In my experience if the valves are letting that much oil by then there is more wear in the valve seats then seals will fix anyway.