Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

94 Grand Cherokee 4.0 Windows Quit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 Grand Cherokee 4.0 Windows Quit

Okay so I have the oppurtunity to purchase a 94 grand cherokee and the current owner said all the windows quit working at once and he has no clue why does anyone know what rhis could be im thinking a fuse. and also he said he put a new radio in and that it wont work, he said something about a security thing no clue what hes talking about though.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:37 AM

Alright nobody knows? i know i can replace all the window motors new for about a 100 buck if its in that very small chance they all crapped out.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

I am assuming that you already checked the fuses? What about the radio? Did you un-do what the previous owner did in the slight chance that he crossed a wire or two? When I installed my aftermarket radio in my 01 GC I accidentally used an orange wire that was constantly hot. When I turn the car on and turned on the radio all my headlights and brake lights were out. My point is these vehicles have the potential to do some funny things all because of an errant wire.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 PM

no i havent gotten a chance to yet i still havent purchased the vehicle have to wait until tuesday or wednesday because im selling my 96 f250 4x4 351( i know i didnt have to go into detail about it) because this 6mpg stuff really sucks and my Xj Is about to undergo a complete transformation.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

I know the feeling, I previously owned a 2000 Ford Expedition with the 5.4l and paying $85+ to fill up was killing me. I dont know if it was fate but I got into an accident with it and the insurance co wrote it off. with the settlement I bought my 01 WJ. Been having fun with eversince.

Since you haven't bought it yet, your not tied to it. It's never too late to keep looking around, mybe you'll find a better deal
Old 01-16-2011, 01:47 PM

1400 is what hes asking im gonna try to get to go 1200 on it. its in good shape and i can get everything fixed fairly cheap since its just radio and windows. seems like everytime i find a jeep the radio is out my xj doesnt even have a radio now lol
Old 01-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Exclamation

Okay i think i know whats wrong, the guy changed the stock radio to aftermarket and it had the infinity sound in it and he through out the amp.
anyone know how to fix this?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8

If its the same problem we have fought, its a "simple" but frustrating fix. Our windows/locks/etc have intermittantly quit over the time we have owned the GC (not all at the same time, each thing at different times). Our problem was in the door wiring harness in the rubber boot between the door and the body.

In ours, the insulation on the wires got hard and spiral cracked, making the conductor fracture. Frustrating thing was that the insulation would stay together enough you couldnt see the break until you poked around and inspected each wire.

The other frustrating thing is there isnt much room to work with in there. The best would be to resolder and heat shrink the wire, perhaps with an added length of wire to keep the stress down, but I ended up just using crimp on butt splices. I have had to replace one already.

I would suspect that the window power common broke in the drivers side wiring harness in the door. It will be a health sized wire, a little larger than the some of the others. I cant remember the color. You may want to have someone help you hold the rubber boot to one side while you work (assuming you get it). A word of warning, once they start cracking they will just keep cracking one after another. its a cheap fix that takes twenty minutes, but you should weigh the frustration of having them randomly quit on you with your decision. We have had to fix about four or five breaks in five years, but its also got about 280k on it and its a 94, so the wires are nearly two decades old from a time that cars weren't built to last more than five years.

Good thing is that it doesnt affect the function of the vehicle getting down the road, only comfort and security. Watch for hardened vacume lines if you work on the engine.