Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

94 GC Ltd electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '94
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Question 94 GC Ltd electrical issues

Hey all..my 1st post here, although I've trolled for a while. A few years back I noticed my 94 GC was running too hot..creeping up past 240. Not long after this started I broke a fanbelt, which snapped a piece off one of the stock fan blades and ruined the cowl. I replaced with a flexalite electric setup w/control box, and it solved my overheat issues, at least for a while. Eventually, that control box burned out somehow, and I replaced the whole thing again (didn't realize I probably could've just replaced the box, but oh well). I used the existing wiring setup and it worked for a while, but now, after re-running almost all wires and connectors, the fan only turns on from a cold start, and at some point (possibly when it gets up to around 210) it shuts off. If the engine is around that temp when I start, the fan does not come on at all. I'm wondering if I'm losing another control box. It's wired to something tied to the ignition in the fuse box, so it's set to always run. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I would think it's the control box causing the issue. You're getting power to the fan, just not at the right temps.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM

Thanks...sry for late reply. Will it be difficult to bypass the control box and wire drectly to the fan motor? Is it "hard wired" in?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 AM

Year: 1997 limited
Engine: 318 v8

not hard at all justy find a hot wire that is linked to your key switch usen a wire tester so when you turn the key to the on position the fan will automatically run
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM

Default Fan issue diagnosed...need new fan

So after many hours of testing, I figured out that the fan was wired correctly, but the control box and motor are failing. I wired the fan to a keyed ignition source, it came on with the key and ran full bore for about 25min. Then, as the temp rose, it began to run slower and slower until it finally just spun completely down. Since this is the 2nd Flexalite fan I've lost in about 8 years, I'm looking for a new brand. Can someone suggest a decent electric fan for my 94 GC 5.2? It's starting to warm up in AZ, and I need to get this address asap. Thanks!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 PM

Year: 1994

May I suggest a fan from a 94 or simular year ford car with the 3.8 engine.. it is a two speed fan and very heavy duty. It was almost a drop-n in my 94 5.2. I did use the control box from Delta Currant, appears to be very high quality. I've had mine for about 2 years with no issuse... if the motor ever goes bad replacements are available from any parts store.. NAPA, AutoZone,etc.. the linclon Mark VIII fans are the better ones but any of the others in the Tauras or Sable will work..This fan is easy to fine as it has three wires running to it.. one for ground, one for low speed and one for high speed. I read that this fan moves about 3500 cfm of air at high speed or some where in that range.. removal from the jumk yard car was a 10 to 15 minute project and I pulled as much wire as I could get to have the heavier duty wire to use and not have to buy some othe color and have the correct colors to trace if I ever need to in the future.. I paid $25 for the fan, $79 for the controller, and about $10 for extra wires and some Maxi fuses from from a cadillac to run the fan.. It is all automatic and turns on the fan when needed and off when not needed, such as driving the highway at night.. and a lot quiter then the old fan and clutch I used to have. Just be sure and use a bosch type relay in the 40 amp size as this fan does pull a few amps. And since you already have the 5.2 the alternator will handle it just fine.. you will need two relays .This really is the best setup I've seen.. and inexpensive.

Last edited by 94zjdriver; 04-05-2012 at 12:00 AM.