Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

93 ZJ windshield wiper issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default 93 ZJ windshield wiper issues

Ok so I have a 93 ZJ that is causing me some headaches. When I got the Jeep the wipers were working fine as well as the washer bottle pump. Over time it would intermittently quit but a few moments later start working again. I have tried to find fuses or relays for the system with no luck. The repair manual tells me my fuse panel is under the driver side dash and its not I have one mounted at the end off the pass side dash, one in the glove box and one under the hood. Looking at the diagram for the one at the pass end cap I find no fuse for it. Looking at the wiring schematics on Mitchell on Demand I find no relay for the system. I have traced wiring with no luck. I believe that it is possibly the multi function switch however I am currently unemployed and am working with little cash. Most part stores will not take a electric part back once it has been installed. So before I spend the money does anyone know of any relay's or fuses for this system that I am missing. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for any help I can get.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

IIrc there is a box behind the drivers kick panel that controls the windsheild wipers and they are a know problem. Hopefully someone else has an exact answer.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L Laredo

XX2 on what ok93zj said.. the "intermittant wiper delay module" can cause the problems you posted. I went to replace mine, and found the old one had just come unhooked.. plugged it in and they've been fine since. Like he said, it's by the driver side kick panel. Iirc they are kinda pricey..
Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 5.2

On mine my wiper delay stopped working all together and the wipers wouldn't return on there own all I had was lo & hi and eventually had nothing but hi.

Remove the drivers side kick panel and you'll see a little black box velcroed to the wall. Take it out, open it up, clean it out and check for a couple bad solder connections. Thats most likely your problem. also be sure to clean all the harness connections on both sides of the module and on the two harness's and then put some dielectric grease on the connections.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 AM

[QUOTE=FAlfani81;2059003]On mine my wiper delay stopped working all together and the wipers wouldn't return on there own all I had was lo & hi and eventually had nothing but hi.

I apologize I realized from another post on GL4x4 that I wasn't clear on what isnt working anymore. Both the Wiper Blades and the washer pump quit at the same time. Does this module control both items or only the wipers. This is the reason that I was thinking that it was the multi-function switch.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 5.2

I believe it does. Mine wasn't spraying either and I wasn't trying to fix it. But after I fixed the box for my wipers it started working again.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by FAlfani81
I believe it does. Mine wasn't spraying either and I wasn't trying to fix it. But after I fixed the box for my wipers it started working again.
Thank you I will look into this tonight and post my findings.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Success Thank You everyone for your input you saved me a lot of money. Upon further inspection I found that one side of the wiper module that you all told me about was unplugged completely. I am not sure as to how that happens but after plugging it back in wipers and washers are now working perfectly. Thanks again.