Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

93 grand cherokee 5.2 sputtering and back fires

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 93 grand cherokee 5.2 sputtering and back fires

So my cherokee lately has been perplexing me and I can't figure it out! In early February had a problem where when the car was cold it would rum just fine but as it got to operating temp it would back fire and miss and bog out and eventually cut out, after changing all the sensors, checking grounds and what not I figured out the the fuel pick up line was messed up and the computer as well, after chaging all that out the car now runs but still has an issue. Same thing when it's cold it rus fine and I can tach it out no problem when it gets to about 18p/190, temp it starts sputtering and backfiring with some power loss but does not cut out. However if I drive it around and let it go up to opera ting temp at 210ish it clears out and no problem runs fine, I use this jeep as an offroad racer and have a race next week so anybody that has had a similar problem or advice is greatly appreciated! At this point I'm just straight stumped.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

when you say you replaced all the sensors. what sensors have you replaced exactly? have you done an OBD code read?