Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

93 Gc new project...advise and tips?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 93 Gc new project...advise and tips?

Good Day, Just purchased a 93 zj 4.0 auto for $1200 with 280k km on it. I am doing most of the work myself to prepare it for a mechanical. Sofar have noticed the following.

1) Drivers side mud flap missing
2) Drivers side power mirror flops like it is loose in housing, passenger side works well.
3) Front wipers will only work in high speed.
4) Spedometer intermittantly works
5) Plastic panel that runs along passenger door is loose.
6) Rear wiper arm missing, wiper not working.
7) Plastic piece that holds the licence plate on in rear door is loose exposing inside of rear door.

Other that it runs well...doesn't look like anyone messed with the electrical which is a good thing. Brakes and tires look like they are in good condition. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DC
Old 03-03-2010, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by dadscool
Good Day, Just purchased a 93 zj 4.0 auto for $1200 with 280k km on it. I am doing most of the work myself to prepare it for a mechanical. Sofar have noticed the following.

1) Drivers side mud flap missing
2) Drivers side power mirror flops like it is loose in housing, passenger side works well.
3) Front wipers will only work in high speed.
4) Spedometer intermittantly works
5) Plastic panel that runs along passenger door is loose.
6) Rear wiper arm missing, wiper not working.
7) Plastic piece that holds the licence plate on in rear door is loose exposing inside of rear door.

Other that it runs well...doesn't look like anyone messed with the electrical which is a good thing. Brakes and tires look like they are in good condition. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DC
Good Mornin' to you. Congrats on your becoming a Jeep ZJ owner.
As for your list: #3 could be the wiper module or the switch itself.
#'s 1,2,6, & 7-simply replace.
#4 could be the speed sensor in the trans, or t-case if equipped. Or a loose connector or bad wire in the harness going to the sensor. JMO
#5 is held on by clips that attach to the door and are prone to breakage if tampered with. You can get new ones if needed, and there's a tool for removing the trim piece without damaging it. Or try to remove it carefully. JMO
And post some pics when you can.
Dan
Old 03-03-2010, 09:57 AM

Thank you for the info. My ZJ is Awd with 4wd-N-4Lo settings. I am hoping that I can fix as much as possible without incurring too much expence to get my mechanical. Am thinking about swaping a ZJ with a rear window hatch as my hatch does not have a hatch on the rear window. Hopfully I can pick one up at an auto recycler.

DC
Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Thank you for the info. My ZJ is Awd with 4wd-N-4Lo settings. I am hoping that I can fix as much as possible without incurring too much expence to get my mechanical. Am thinking about swaping a ZJ with a rear window hatch as my hatch does not have a hatch on the rear window. Hopfully I can pick one up at an auto recycler.

DC
Yeah mine has the flipper glass and it's a nice feature. Shouldn't be hard to find as there were tons made with that option, all the way up until the ZJ was stopped in the last year of '98. '99 started the WJ Grand Cherokee.
Dan
Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM

Curious...Is it possible to fit the flipper glass on a my existing tail gate that has the fixed glass? If so is there some info regarding this swap?

Dave
Old 03-03-2010, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Curious...Is it possible to fit the flipper glass on a my existing tail gate that has the fixed glass? If so is there some info regarding this swap?

Dave
They say that "anything is possible", but I've never heard of it being done. A lot of small things would have to be done to make it look right, even if it would physically fit the opening. Hinges, latch, struts, seal, glass, outside button to open it, different hatch trim panel,, and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.
Dan
Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 AM

Update:

Checked my gc last night. Looks like it was well maintained...trans fluid smells normal, engine oil looks like it was recently changed within a few months, antifreeze is a bit low but it could be due to him having to replace a rad hose a short while ago. Looks like he had the distributor changed not too long ago as the cap and body are fairly new. AC compressor doesn't seem to work although it was -3 C outside. Mabe it won't come on until the ambiant temp is higher than a certain amount. Windshield wipers do work in low speed and high although the wiper arm will not park. My guess is the module for the windshield wipers is ok. Would like to shampoo the engine compartment...what product do you recommend for this?

DC
Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 AM
CF Veteran

I've used "Gunk" brand foam engine cleaner with good results. (Follow the directions, and don't let it dry). I own a pressure washer and have used it with general purpose cleaner on low pressure, let it sit for 5 minutes then rinse it off with the garden hose. JMO
Dan
Old 03-04-2010, 09:22 AM

I will look for it at our local Autoparts store. Has anyone used Duralube or slick 50 in thier engines? If so does it make any difference in startability or the way the engine runs?Dave
Old 03-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Just noticed another gremlin last night....my heater motor only works in high and the volmeter on the dash drops 3 volts when it runs...seems like it is drawing a lot of current for some reason. Thank goodness I have a factory service manual on order. Any ideas?

Dave
Old 03-06-2010, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Just noticed another gremlin last night....my heater motor only works in high and the volmeter on the dash drops 3 volts when it runs...seems like it is drawing a lot of current for some reason. Thank goodness I have a factory service manual on order. Any ideas?

Dave
Bad blower motor, bad switch, bad resistor on HVAC housing.JMO
Dan
Old 03-06-2010, 04:47 PM

Where is the resister located on the hvac housing? I had a similar problem with my old Ranger and it was the resister in the blower housing. Wonder if I should get a Hanes manual until my shop manual arrives?
Dave
Old 03-06-2010, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Where is the resister located on the hvac housing? I had a similar problem with my old Ranger and it was the resister in the blower housing. Wonder if I should get a Hanes manual until my shop manual arrives?
Dave
It's mounted next to the blower motor and is attached by two screws.
Yes, get the Haynes until your FSM arrives. It'll help you out tremendously.
Dan
Old 03-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Update...pulled the blower and resister today resister was separated from backing plate due to corrosion and you wouldn't belive it there was a small birds nest inside the blower housing near the heater core. The only thing I can think of is the blower housing may have come from a salvage yard and the mechanic didn't think to remove all components in case there was dirt or anything else in there...unbelivable to say the least.
Dave
Old 03-08-2010, 04:28 PM

Replaced the resister from one form a salvage yard and vola....fixed. Also picked up a spare blower motor, struts, drivers side power mirror and intermittant wiper module I think....has wires connecting on both sides with velcro on one side. Hope its the right one. On my way back I noticed a squeeky noise coming from the engine compartment...interrmittant but more noticable when engine is in park or neutral...in drive isn't as loud....seems like it could be coming from my clutch fan...any ideas guys?

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 Gc new project...advise and tips?