Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

93 cherokee 4.o hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 93 cherokee 4.o hard starting

Hi everyone. I think I know the answer to my problem but hope it is something easy and not the fuel pump. I just bought this jeep and it seems like every time I turn around something is not working. It is a 93 grand cherokee with about 134, xxx miles automatic. The owner I bought if from has had it for the last 10 years. He says the fuel pump was replaced last year but the rig has sat for almost 5 months. When I bought it almost a month ago it would start almost without turning the key it was so easy. Cold or hot it didnt matter. Now cold or hot it takes a few seconds of cranking before it starts. Cold it might take a minute or two of cranking. I have even tried changing where I buy my fuel, super unleaded. Today I changed the fuel filter just to make sure. Found the vacuum line boot on the pressure regulator was in bad shape so I fixed that. But tonight when I went out to move it, it had a heck of a time. I had to crank for maybe 20 seconds before it finally fired. Now I just searched and found a few post about about turning on and giving it a few seconds to build pressure before trying to start. So I am going to try that in the morning. Any ideas of what it could be? Not sure of the condition of cap rotor or plugs but they should not go that bad in 1,000 miles. Thanks for any idea you might have.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Moved to Grand Cherokee Tech.

Check for good fuel pressure at the rail with a pressure gauge. There is a place to hook the gauge built in.

When was the last time you changed your spark plugs? Wires? Cap? Rotor? Have you looked at any of them? Pulling a plug and inspecting it can give big hints to issues that are ongoing.

You could also try cleaning contacts at the starter, coil, battery, and ALL grounds. You said it has been sitting, corrosion could be anywhere, causing weak spark, or poor electrical supply to many things.

Which also brings to checking for GOOD spark. Should be bright blue, not yellow or orange.

Hope that helps you get something.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Yea, try that. My fuel pump check valve is bad. It never takes that long though. If I stand outside so I can hear well and turn the ign on I hear the pump run for about the count of 3. Then I turn it off and on again, and again it runs for about a 3 count. On the 3 rd time it will get to pressure and shut off before the auto-stop stops it. (when the engine is running it keeps going.)
In other words, turn it on, then off ect...until you don't hear the pump run, or just a tad, then try it.
Back-packed at Glacier a couple times. Yummy trout
Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I am guilty of not checking my plugs or cap. So I am not sure if those are the problem. I am just thinking that in less than 1,000 miles going from a fast very easy start to cranking hard it might have been something else. I tried the ignition on for 10 seconds this morning and off 3 times but still had to crank for maybe 45 seconds before it would start. Boy I like my jeep but every time I drive it something is wrong. This morning I had no brake lights.