Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

42re No reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 42re No reverse?

My 2002 4.0 jeep grand cherokee laredo has about 167,000 on it and it all of a sudden wont go in reverse? forward works fine but when i put it in reverse i feel like it doesnt pop into gear all the way...

i've called around some repair shops and they all say internal problem, rebuild. 1500-2000 grand.

Ive always worked on my cars myself fixing whatever breaks.. radiator, water pump, axle bearings..etc..

I'm curious if its something i can fix myself, if i was pointed in the right direction, i feel like i could take it apart, buy the new part and install it..

any ideas?

i've heard possible band breakage or c clip in overdrive? i'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction, or if someone can tell me where to start taking apart, i might find something broken ie c clip, band etc..

all help is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Its pretty common for the O/D-direct clutch snap ring to break. You will usually see pieces of it inthe pan if you dropped the pan for inspection. If thats what you find when you drop the pan then the repair may not be too bad. You can either remove the O/D unit and have it rebuilt or do it yourself. There is really only one thing thats tricky and thats compressing the direct clutch spring. Its a very strong spring and could cause bodily harm if something bad happened while compressing it. Most people use a press and special tool, the tool can be fabbed but I would still want a press.

Also could be a problem with the Low/Rev band or servo. Do you have engine braking when slowing down while shifted to Man 1st position? If so then it sounds like your servo and band are ok.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM

ok thanks for the reply! i'll check to see if i have engine breaking.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 PM

ok i checked to see if i have engine breaking by driving about 25 in drive and shifting to first gear and there was no engine breaking
Old 04-15-2013, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

FYI the rear band is applied for reverse gear and applied in manually shifted 1st gear, its only applied in Man 1st for engine breaking on deceleration.

It seems like a problem with the rear band or servo since you noticed no engine braking. You can drop the pan and filter and get a pretty good look at the rear band, servo, and lever. If you are lucky maybe the servo cracked or worse would be a problem with the band since you will need to remove and disassemble the trans (rebuild)