Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

4.7 recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4.7 recommendations

2001 WJ 4.7 : After removing the radiator and thermostat I found a faulty water pump. Long story short, I have a lot of things off the jeep right now. About 130k on motor. Questions : Any recommendations of anything else that should be replaced while I'm in there? Right now I'm thinking water pump, radiator, hoses, t stat. Any suggestions on water pump brands ? I have noticed most water pumps on eBay are sold with timing chain kits. From my experience chains aren't a maintenance item, so I'm thinking it's probably not worth doing (since no prior issues concerning chain). Correct? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:07 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Personal opinion, chains that aren't noisy aren't worth the pain in the *** they bring. The list you gave sounds about right, I just usually do the belt in addition to any idler or tensioner pulleys that seem to have any looseness in their bearing. Go to rockauto.com, buy the OMIX-ADA parts, I believe that brand offers everything you just named. They'll be pricier, I'd stick to them for the water pump at the least. The cool thing about rockauto, your options on brand & style are pretty good, depending on the part.

I'd only do the radiator if it looks iffy, or if you are ok with dropping the coin on it now. And when you put it back together, just leave the bolt out of the fan shroud that goes behind the steering box...I have never put that one back in, haha.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:14 AM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by fletchFL
Personal opinion, chains that aren't noisy aren't worth the pain in the *** they bring. The list you gave sounds about right, I just usually do the belt in addition to any idler or tensioner pulleys that seem to have any looseness in their bearing. Go to rockauto.com, buy the OMIX-ADA parts, I believe that brand offers everything you just named. They'll be pricier, I'd stick to them for the water pump at the least. The cool thing about rockauto, your options on brand & style are pretty good, depending on the part.

I'd only do the radiator if it looks iffy, or if you are ok with dropping the coin on it now. And when you put it back together, just leave the bolt out of the fan shroud that goes behind the steering box...I have never put that one back in, haha.
Thanks for the input, I definitely will be replacing the belt too. Radiator was cracked and hissing so already got a new one. I'm also doing heater core since it's been leaking for a while. Dash is out and got to diagnose some hvac issues with it only blowing on defrost mode. Won't change to any other mode. I've read it seems to be a possible vacuum issue.