Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

4.7 Exhaust choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO
Default 4.7 Exhaust choices

2004 4.7 HO

Narrowing it down to the Flowmaster 70 Series, Magnaflow straight through and even considering back to stock. Obviously concerned about interior drone. Previous owner had a Thrush on there and it droned pretty good.

And I know it's very good but don't think I want to spend the money on a Borla system.

Thoughts, experiences, opinions?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I installed Walker high flow ones on mine cheaper and good quality.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I installed Walker high flow ones on mine cheaper and good quality.
I ended up going with the Magnaflow cat back. Arrives today. It is stainless steel. A lot of others were aluminized steel, including the flowmaster, that rusts a lot faster in the salt. I have gone through 4 exhaust systems on 3 vehicles in the last 2 years so I wanted stainless steel this time.

I also had an amazon gift card and got the exhaust shipped for free as well. Hope it's not too loud and too much drone. The thrush droned but it was bearable.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

I installed a stainless Magnaflow cat-back system as replacement for the stock exhaust in my XJ. They probably didn't need it but I ran used motor oil through the new pipes before installation. It sounded fine and gave good service for about six years (then we got wrecked). It was exposed to plenty of seashore conditions (saltwater dips and sand) and wintertime road-salt. Needless to say, I washed my undercarriage regularly being mindful of all that exposure to corrosives.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cherryokee
I installed a stainless Magnaflow cat-back system as replacement for the stock exhaust in my XJ. They probably didn't need it but I ran used motor oil through the new pipes before installation. It sounded fine and gave good service for about six years (then we got wrecked). It was exposed to plenty of seashore conditions (saltwater dips and sand) and wintertime road-salt. Needless to say, I washed my undercarriage regularly being mindful of all that exposure to corrosives.
Good to know, thanks. I keep my undercarriage washed as well. So far so good, but hasn't broken in yet. Sounds good. Not too loud which is what I wanted.