Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

4.0 randomly stalling and bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 4.0 randomly stalling and bogging down

ok so here's my issue sometimes my 96 grand cherokee will just randomly die on me as i'm going down the road or if i come to a stop or even just idling every once and a while when this starts i can pump the gas and it'll either catch and just keep on going like nothing ever happened or it'll back fire and keep going and then sometimes it just stops but a couple of times today when it dropped rpm it randomly just started it's self back up and kept going... i've read severl posts on differen't forums and they never seem to have an answer any fee would help
Old 10-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

You problem appears to be an imbalance in the fuel-air mixture which is causing the engine to stall or try to stall. The backfire is a good indication of this. It can backfire in the intake, too lean or exhaust, too rich.

A couple of things come to mind. Clean or replace your air filter. Clean the throttle body and IAC. The IAC controls idle. Check your oxygen sensor. This sensor reads unburnt oxygen in the exhaust and the info is used by the PCM to lean or enrichen the mixture. It does this by changing the tming of the injectors. Finally, check your fuel pressure. You may have a pump that is starting to fail or bad pressure regulator. Or you may have a plugged fuel filter. Check all your vacuum lines.

So, look at things that affect the fuel-air mixture. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:53 AM

Model: Cherokee

I have a 99 grand cherokee and it does the same thing, the other day, i was doing about 100 km/h on the highway and it just stalls on me...after about 5 to 6 trying attemp to restart the jeep it finnaly lets gas go through...Does that arrows down the problem...what can i change by myself without spending hundreds of dollars at the garages ?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by patpinard
I have a 99 grand cherokee and it does the same thing, the other day, i was doing about 100 km/h on the highway and it just stalls on me...after about 5 to 6 trying attemp to restart the jeep it finnaly lets gas go through...Does that arrows down the problem...what can i change by myself without spending hundreds of dollars at the garages ?

Stalling tends to be a fuel-air problem rather than ignition. An ignition problem would cause the engine to shutdown abruptly. Fuel problems can cause the stalling problems described. Attach a fuel pressure gage and see if you are getting normal fuel pressure. When you first turn the ignition on, your fuel pump will run for a few seconds. You can listen for the sound. It is located in the fuel tank. Once the engine starts, the pump will run continuously. You can listen to it run, although a bit harder. You can use a mechanics stethoscope to hear it better.

Check fuel pressure first, then look at the other things.