Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

3.7 L grand Cherokee Laredo major issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 3.7 L grand Cherokee Laredo major issues

hi there,
my jeep is an '05 Cherokee Laredo and recently having many problems with the engine. It is having 2-3 misfires, constantly overheating, water out of the exhaust. There have been new coils put in, a rocker arm, and new spark plugs & thermostat. Scanner is reading multiple misfires in cylinders 5 and 6. Plus number 2 is where the new rocker arm was put in. It sounds like theres a popping sound coming from the intake manifold. I'd like to know what we can do to fix this problem?! Please help! Thanks in advance

Last edited by Jessica Marie Paine; 07-17-2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 07-17-2018, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Jessica Marie Paine
hi there,
my jeep is an '05 Cherokee Laredo and recently having many problems with the engine. It is having 2-3 misfires, constantly overheating, water out of the exhaust. There have been new coils put in, a rocker arm, and new spark plugs & thermostat. Scanner is reading multiple misfires in cylinders 5 and 6. Plus number 2 is where the new rocker arm was put in. It sounds like theres a popping sound coming from the intake manifold. I'd like to know what we can do to fix this problem?! Please help! Thanks in advance
Hi Jessica - welcome to the Cherokee forum.

You're in the XJ forum (84-01 Regular Cherokee). There are a lot of great folks that frequent this forum that may be able to help you troubleshoot, but you may get better assistance in the Grand Cherokee forum (https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5).

Great job on your post as well. The only thing I'd suggest is providing the specific ODB2 codes from the scanner.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Hi Jessica. The water out the exhaust, is it only on start up or after it is warm? I would add also, this is a forum for early Cherokees, however as time progresses, we are sort of evolving into the newer models. So don't be shy

Last edited by 4.3L XJ; 07-17-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:22 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Hi Jessica.. I have an '05 GC Laredo with the 3.7L. It's sitting in my driveway now, after experiencing much the same symptoms as yours is. I too replaced sensors, poked and prodded, but all to no avail. The 3.7L engine is problematic at best (google it) Apparently the valve seats are pressed in and are very likely to fail when the engine reaches high temperatures. When that happens the pieces fall into the engine and are sucked into the intake manifold damaging whatever other cylinders they get into. A new (rebuilt or remanufactured) 3.7L with upgrades to prevent it happening again are anywhere from $2400-3200 ! Then you have to add labor to have it installed...
My advice; TRADE THAT PUPPY IN QUICK!! it's an '05... you deserve a new ride! Let someone else deal with the mechanical problems. It's too late for me! Save yourself! Any money you throw at it now will be wasted as it will ultimately fail! I sincerely hope this reply helps you!
(the message above is my own opinion based on my own personal experience, your mileage may vary) ;-D
Old 07-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Oh, absolutely dump it! The 3.7 is the 4.7's baby brother and they BOTH have nasty traits. If it isn't valve seats being dropped, it's cam chains that jump and ruin the whole bank of cylinders on that side. There are also hydraulic valve anchors that collapse and cause rocker arms to fall off the cam. These could have been good engines if they'd followed thru with the engineering. They were in too much of a hurry to design a replacement for the very dated straight 6. My advise is to go to a newer Grand with a 5.7 Hemi! You'll be much happier. Check out wkjeeps.com or wk2jeeps.com