Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2013 JGC Overland Noises and Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2013 JGC Overland Noises and Leaking

I tried to get some answers from another forum and got no where so figured I'd try here.

Just bought a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Around 750 miles, it developed this buzzing noise from the dash of the passenger side. It also started to drip water into the passenger foot well. I have all weather mats and there are small puddles here and there. The buzzing noise is there with AC on, off, air system on and off. I don't even think its the air system anymore. The noise got louder when I make a hard left turn and while braking hard.

I took it into get it serviced and of course when they tried to diagnose the issue, it stopped making the buzzing noises and the water stopped dripping.

Once the puddles on my all weather mats dried up, there was this rusty colored residue.

Doing some searching I found an issue with the AC condensation drain being blocked and leaking into the passenger foot well. This problem seemed to be only on older models of the grand cherokee. Also, this is a brand new car, how on earth could a drain be clogged this early on?

As of right now, the problem comes and goes. It's not a constant issue. I've tried to replicate it with the AC on full blast and it doesn't happen either...

anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this? I may need to wait till its more humid for the condensation to form again. Its pretty dry and cold here in MD right now. Unless the service department can see/hear where the water is leaking from, they can't fix anything.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2

does it have a warrenty? if so go to the dealer.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Take it to the dealer, this is a warranty issue.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

No offense, if something that new has an issue already that's a bad thing but yea take it right back to the dealer and say WTF I want a new one. Well have them fix it for free at least lol
Old 12-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You bit the bullet and bought a brand new car. Take it back to the dealer, tell them to keep it until it's fixed, and you want a loaner until it is. Don't mess around with them. Fix it or give me a replacement.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem finally resolved!!! Brought it in during a rainy humid day so they can hear the noise and see the water.

It was the climate control condenser drain pipe. The factory didnt secure it during production and just left it hanging right underneath the center console. Its suppose to be routed down to a hole that exits the car under the shifter. While driving around, the water got shifted around till it leaked out of the passenger footwell. The water also dripped onto the ac blower fan which is what caused the buzzing noise.

They tied the hose down to the correct place and replaced the ac blower fan. All is well for the time being.

The tech showed me a pick of the hose with the center console removed. When he turned the ac on, water would come shooting out of the hose...

So basically someone at the jeep factory didnt have their morning coffee and forgot to route the hose...bad quality assurance...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Glad to hear your issues have been resolved. Welcome to CF.