Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2011 Grand Cherokee Battery light issue-HELP!

Old 11-14-2016, 05:35 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 70
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2011 Grand Cherokee Battery light issue-HELP!

I recently bought a like new garage kept little old lady (clean Carfax) 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 3.6 engine. It only has 29,000 on the odometer checked by Carfax-zero wear on any items (seats, pedals, carpet etc.). I don’t think the former owner ever had anyone sit in the rear seat or carry any luggage in the hatch area. OK my problem is an intermittent battery light. Dealer said its just out of warranty but his tech replaced the battery with a new one. Been OK for about 3 weeks and there light came on. I shut off the Jeep when I got to work and restarted it again & the lights off. Its been over a month and the wife takes a 300 miles trip and the light comes on again while crossing “Alligator Alley” in South Florida. Her next stop she shuts off the engine and after a 5 minute sit for a pit stop the light is off. Electrical test last month showed no alternator failure. Any idea what’s happening here? Thank you in advance for your opinions.
LWechterPA is offline  
Old 11-14-2016, 10:53 AM
  #2  
Member
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 135
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by LWechterPA View Post
I recently bought a like new garage kept little old lady (clean Carfax) 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 3.6 engine. It only has 29,000 on the odometer checked by Carfax-zero wear on any items (seats, pedals, carpet etc.). I don’t think the former owner ever had anyone sit in the rear seat or carry any luggage in the hatch area. OK my problem is an intermittent battery light. Dealer said its just out of warranty but his tech replaced the battery with a new one. Been OK for about 3 weeks and there light came on. I shut off the Jeep when I got to work and restarted it again & the lights off. Its been over a month and the wife takes a 300 miles trip and the light comes on again while crossing “Alligator Alley” in South Florida. Her next stop she shuts off the engine and after a 5 minute sit for a pit stop the light is off. Electrical test last month showed no alternator failure. Any idea what’s happening here? Thank you in advance for your opinions.
Hi LWechterPA,

Your GC would have been out of the basic warranty back in 2014 (3 years/36K miles), and just now outside the 5 year/100K mile powertrain warranty. However, your dealership should be able to check for any stored codes that may point to why the light is on. You could also have the battery itself tested, just to make sure it is not bad.

Kori
Jeep Social Care Specialist
JeepCares is offline  
Old 11-15-2016, 04:27 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 70
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Hi LWechterPA,

Your GC would have been out of the basic warranty back in 2014 (3 years/36K miles), and just now outside the 5 year/100K mile powertrain warranty. However, your dealership should be able to check for any stored codes that may point to why the light is on. You could also have the battery itself tested, just to make sure it is not bad.

Kori
Jeep Social Care Specialist
Kori:
The dealer did replace the battery after my initial road test of the Jeep & checked the charging system. Everything was OK. I did read on the Chrysler website that the alternator was proven defective on certain models and was being replaced at NC. The site said mine was not covered as only the 160 amp and not the 180 amp alternator (mine-figures) was shown to be defective.I told my wife to shut the engine off and restart it and the light went out. Hmmm??
I will take it over to Advance Auto for a free system check when she returns tomorrow.
LWechterPA is offline  
Old 11-15-2016, 08:45 AM
  #4  
Member
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 135
Model: Cherokee
Default

Originally Posted by LWechterPA View Post
Kori:
The dealer did replace the battery after my initial road test of the Jeep & checked the charging system. Everything was OK. I did read on the Chrysler website that the alternator was proven defective on certain models and was being replaced at NC. The site said mine was not covered as only the 160 amp and not the 180 amp alternator (mine-figures) was shown to be defective.I told my wife to shut the engine off and restart it and the light went out. Hmmm??
I will take it over to Advance Auto for a free system check when she returns tomorrow.
Let me know if you do want to go back to a Jeep dealership for any additional diagnostics--I'm happy to step in if needed.

Kori
Jeep Social Care Specialist
JeepCares is offline  
Old 11-15-2016, 09:28 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 70
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Kori:
Going for a full diagnostic on the battery & charging system and checking for a code issue. Not familiar with "hidden codes?" Let you know what's found. Thanks for your assistance.
LWechterPA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: