Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2004 grand Cherokee runs rough in reverse intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Default 2004 grand Cherokee runs rough in reverse intermittently

Problems started a month ago I believe, I think I got bad fuel and that set off problems with injector 4. Replaced that and it was fine. Used 4WD on Sunday and Monday all of a sudden it started running crazy rough when I put it in reverse. Sometimes it will run a little rough on startup and I just turn it off for a couple seconds and when I restart it’s fine. This time the check engine light came on but it ran fine. That night we checked the codes and it threw the codes for the number 4 injector again. Cleared the codes and it was fine until yesterday morning did the same thing, ran rough in reverse but fine in drive gears. Also check engine light came on but went off (?) today reverse issue was very intermittent. It’s making the engine run rough, not feeling “transmission “ rough
Old 11-07-2019, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 169 Likes on 156 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0

If it is repeatedly throwing a code for the #4 injector? Especially, since you are also seeing symptoms of having a faulty air/fuel ratio running rough too...

I would pull the #4 injector and swap it with an injector from out of the other bank. Monitor and see if the CEL changes to whatever cylinders where you now have the #4 injector installed? Or, if the CEL remains throwing a code to at the same cylinder where the injector started out... If the CEL moves to follow the injector swap, this would indicate a bad injector as the reason. If the CEL does not change from where it is at now after swapping the injector with another from the other bank, this indicates possibly having a fault in the wiring or connections leading to this #4 injector where it is located at right now.. Or, it could be the driver for this injector is bad in the ECU for in this second test results scenario too.

While in there working I would also be pulling the plugs to look and see if they may be able to tell you something by the way they look?

Last edited by Noah911; 11-07-2019 at 09:05 AM.