Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2004 Grand Cherokee Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 2004 Grand Cherokee Rattle

New to the forum... I've got a '04 Grand Cherokee V8, automatic trans & I've got a rattle in the back and underneath that's driving me nuts. It developed slowly and now it's bad. I've checked EVERYTHING! Removed the spare tire, jack, jack cranks & tire iron. it's not the rear seats, rear tail gate and I put on new shocks. Wife drove it while I laid in the back. It's coming from underneath the body - almost sounds like its coming from the gas tank. Shields under the tank are tight. Tailpipe is tight. I'm at a complete loss.

I've had several Grand Cherokees and any previous rattles have always been easy to spot and fix. This is different. I'm wondering if anyone else has any clue what it could be. I'm ready to take it in to a body shop.

THanks for any advice.
HangDiver

Last edited by HangDiver; 02-13-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0

i hate to say it but is your license plate tight? my first xj would rattle and i took it to two shops to try and figure it out and it turned out to be the plate.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Could be the sway bar links. Disconnect them and tie the bar up with zip ties, take a quick test drive ....noise gone....get new links.

Also that model rear suspension has had problems with the upper axle trailing arm (A-Arm) becoming loose at the mount.(mount is a ball joint type design)
Old 02-13-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Willys55
Could be the sway bar links. Disconnect them and tie the bar up with zip ties, take a quick test drive ....noise gone....get new links.

Also that model rear suspension has had problems with the upper axle trailing arm (A-Arm) becoming loose at the mount.(mount is a ball joint type design)
I sounds "suspension-like" so I did take it in to the Jeep dealer a week ago and they took it for a ride with me in it. They said that it could be something similar to what you described. They put it on a lift and came back and said they couldn't find anything. Still, I can't remember for sure if they specifically checked "sway bar links or A-Arm" so I may take it back to see what exactly they checked. Thanks for the info.

It's not the license plate.