Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2004 GC 4.7 axle vent hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default 2004 GC 4.7 axle vent hose

Ok...so I've had a large evap leak that prevents me from getting my GC to pass the yearly emission test. Trying to save a little money, i figured i would take a look at all of the hoses for the vacuum canister and vacuum pump. On this year model it is located behind the drivers side rear wheel behind the bumper cover. So today i pulled off the rear bumper cover and found the the bracket that holds the pump and canister was completely rusted and actually became 2 separate pieces. so I was hoping, because of the rusted bracket and the 2 pieces being able to jump and move around, that i would find a crack in some of the hoses. But after inspecting them, i found 1 that had a small tear at the very end which i dont think will be the problem. So i went to the Jeep dealer and ordered a new bracket....$159!!!!!!... Where they get off charging that much for a bracket is beyond me!!!! But unfortunately i have no other choice!!! So I had to order it. Anyway, back to my original question...when i inspected the hoses...i noticed that there's a rear axle vent tube that goes up to the gas filler door with the gas tank vent and that seemed to be leaking at some point. When i first bought this Jeep 2 years ago, i did notice a few drops on the garage floor coming from that area. It must have been leaking for quit a while because the evap pump was covered in oil and road grime. My question is...why would differential fluid be leaking out of the vent...it sits all the way up by the gas filler door...which has to be about 12 to 18 inches above the rear axle....how and why would the fluid make it all the way up to the vent?????? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Over filled differential could be the problem.