Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2003 WJ will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2003 WJ will not start

For the past four days I've read just about every forum and post there is about "cranking but not starting." So here is my issues on my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l-

jeep just cut off the other day, no check engine light, no codes, nothing. I had it towed home and figured I'd look over the wiring harness that wraps around the back of the valve cover since I had an issue there before. I've cut open all of the wire loom and looked over the wires from where they go into the fuel injector rail all the way to the pcm and cannot find anything that looks burnt, melted, or broken. Afterwards I started reading some forums and saw my issue looked just like a crankshaft sensor. So I swapped it out, but still no change. I didn't even think to check it, just swapped it so I don't know if I had spark and fuel before the change. I have both afterwards though. I've went as far as pulling the valve cover off to see everything move to rule out the timing chain.

Mechanically it looks like everything is moving as it should, I'm an electrician not a mechanic but I couldn't see anything not doing what the other valves were doing.

So so I have no fault codes, no check engine light, swapped the relays around, checked my battery with a load tester, and at this point I'm ready to let it roll in the lake and claim insurance on it. The engine turns over as normal but will not fire. When I turn the key, my dash lights up as normal. Can't remember if the "check gauges" was always on when I first started it or not, but it stays lit now and the check engine light flashes 12 times and then goes solid. I'm open to any and all ideas you guys might have, at this point I'm so aggravated with it, but it's my ride to work so I gotta do whatever I can.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Swap the ASD relay with another one like it then try to start and run?
Old 07-01-2017, 08:49 PM

I swapped it. Also moved the others around to see and still nothing.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L

Sh*t. I hope it's not your PCM...

It seems you do get a CEL but cannot read any codes. That would lead me to the PCM, PCM grounds, PCM Connectors (clean/inspect/reseat) and PCM Power Supply measurements. After that I'd be checking into the CAN bus (two wire system to dash/instruments). Just my opinion...
Old 07-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Jar on the right is new gas. The other is a sample I took from my jeep.
So after checking everything I couldn't possibly think of at least ten times and close to ordering a new PCM, I went to get gas for my lawn mower this morning. Noticed the last gas station I filled up at the day my Jeep shut down, their mid grade pumps had bags over them. I compared my gas to some new gas and holy ****!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:20 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.7

Ooo I think you need to go have a chat with the manager at that gas station. Is that WATER? If it is their gas then I think it's appropriate for them to cover the cost of clearing that crap out of your fuel system!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:09 AM

Yeah it's basically straight water, I poured some on the ground and tried to light it on fire. Sparked a little and went out, doesn't even smell like gas. The gas station I got it from was closed until further notice yesterday afternoon. A weeks worth of going through everything I could think of. I get paid to troubleshoot electrical problems and 85% of the time it's a mechanical failure. After a week of searching, I started doubting every bit of training and experience I've had. Always remember the first rule of troubleshooting, what was the last thing that happened before it stopped, in my case the last thing to happen was filling up my tank. 9 times out of 10 it's the most basic thing