Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2002 WJ Laredo Suspension lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default 2002 WJ Laredo Suspension lift

Hello, this is my first post after newly joining the Jeep world again. I just recently purchased a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L. I'm currently getting ready to purchase a 4" suspension lift and wanted to consult the experts before I sink unmitigated time and money into this project.

1. Beside the cost of the suspension lift, what am I tentatively looking at to compensate for the drive line vibration as mentioned in previous peoples post?

2. What type of kit would you recommend for someone who will be using this off-road and on the highway?
A. Could I get away with just the 4" coils and supporting shocks?
B. Hate to even mention this, but could stacking 2" spacers give me the
proper clearance I'm looking for?

3. What would you recommend for tire size and width?

I truly appreciate everyones time and expertise in this area, any bump in the right direct is greatly appreciated. God bless
Old 03-25-2013, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee

A good rule of thumb for lifting a WJ 4" is to take the cost of the lift you want and double the price. That's how much it'll cost you because of all the other "stuff" you're going to need. You're looking at a double-carden front driveshaft, possibly a longer rear driveshaft(some people find they need it, others don't), adjustable control arms(the ride on stock control arms w/ a 4" lift is horrible), rear a-arm spacer, extended sway bar links, upgraded steering stabilizer, and an adjustable front trackbar. For a quality 4" kit with adjustable arms you're looking at $1300. IRO has a good kit and so does RC. I've got the RC 4" Long Arm kit on mine and I like it. Granted I replaced the 4" coils and shocks w/ 6" ones. And I'm running 285/75/16's w/ 4" of backspacing.

Don't even think about getting (2) 2" coil spacers for each corner to achieve your 4" of lift. That is very dangerous.

The biggest size tire you'll be able to fit on 4" is a 285/75/16, or any tire that equals out to 32". Any bigger than that and you'll be trimming front bumper and wheel wells. You can get fender flares to fit bigger if you want, but it'll only let you add about another inch of tire.

Have fun!