Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 issues

Old 10-31-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 issues

I recently purchased a 2002 GC Laredo, it has Select Trac I think...2WD, PT 4WD, 4H, N, 4LO. Shifts fine into 4 WD any mode, it just won't engage without placing transmission into neutral at a complete stop, never while moving. It also sometimes has trouble getting back into 2H without back and forth on shifter and backing up....any suggestions on what to Chex or what to do?
Old 11-01-2016, 04:23 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

IDK Man. My 2000 shifts fine at any speed just by lifting your foot off the throttle and moving the lever, EXCEPT for 4lo. It shifts by cable so there's nothing to adjust externally. Maybe there's a problem internally with the shift forks. How's the fluid? Full and bright red? It takes ATF+4. The shift forks have nylon "slippers" on them and they can get hard, crack, and break off. Then the shifting gets sloppy and sometimes won't engage.

Except for that, the 242 t/case is pretty easy to shift and is remarkably free of problems. Mine has over 200K miles on it and the only problems I have with it is sometimes if you don't shift it SMARTLY into 2wd, it will kick out. I've shifted it at 55 mph on the highway when I find a patch of windblown snow.