Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2002 Grand Cherokee codes 135 and 1763

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2002 Grand Cherokee codes 135 and 1763

Hi- I am not a car guy, but I have been fixing various things since I got my Cherokee- so maybe I am a car person.

I have been having my engine light come on intermittently - which at the same time seems to put the car into linmp mode (you can barely get up a steep grade). It seemed to go away for a while and then recently came back for good. When i do the coded sequence it gives me a 135- O2 sensor heat circuit malfunction and 1763 - Governor pressure sensor input too high. In looking at many posts on these codes, it seems like the following replacements have resolved the issues (which are related?)

1. Replace Throttle Position Sensor
2. Replace O2 sensor(s)
3. Replace Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid
4. Replace Transmission Control module
5. Ensure there is enough transmission fluid

My question is if I have to do all of these things to rule out issues, what order should I do them in to save as much time and money as possible and give the most likely result first? Any and all input is appreciated
Thanks much, Patty
Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default PPannick...

I'm hoping you get some help on this as I could use some too..mine is in the shop with similar issues..i have replaced the TPS, coil pack and plugs..check engine light has been on for 2 months and no national chains' scanners detect a code..mechanic is ruling out things but hasn't found my issue..I hope we'll get some love here from the JEEP ELTE and get some resolution..I'm broke down 200 miles from home right now..Talk soon..Chaz
Old 06-18-2015, 09:53 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

oh yeah, im going to check the catalytic converter tomorrow too...
Old 06-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF, Patty! Fixing things is the normal "jeep thing" everybody talks about. That's where the saying "Jeep=just empty every pocket" comes from. They are a lot of fun to drive, especially in the snow.

I'd go for the governor pressure solenoid first. I had this problem on my '00 4.0 and cured it by letting the trans warm up in neutral for a minute or so when it was extremely cold and I haven't had a problem since, BUT it was intermittent and not constant.

Of course you should check the transmission fluid level first. That should be checked in NEUTRAL, not Park. It makes a difference of about a quart.

The 02 sensors are the cheapest things to fix, but they only send information to the computer to adjust fuel trim and shouldn't kill the power much. The engine will run a little rough because it's running on preprogramed information, not real life demands. Check the wires for loose connections or heat damage first.

I've been told the WJ's ('99 to '04) don't have a separate trans control module and are controlled by the PCM (computer). IDK that for sure.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

That 1763 code means you need a new transmission governor pressure sensor and solenoid. It's not hard to replace, but it is kind of expensive at around 200 bucks. If the governor pressure sensor is faulty your transmission won't shift out of first, it's not limp mode, it's won't shift mode. There is a YouTube video on how to replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. The other code means the O2 sensor heater has failed. It may be monitoring the exhaust gases ok, but the heater circuit will keep throwing a code. Replace the O2 sensor.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:35 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L6

+1 to what bustedback said. I had the SAME problem and same code. I replaced the Governor Pressure Transducer and Pressure Solenoid and GPT/PS housing base gasket. Easy enough to do and it got my '01driveable.