Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2002 Grand Cherokee 4wd 4.0 inline six issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2002 Grand Cherokee 4wd 4.0 inline six issues

I'm the second owner and love this Jeep. I've had it 8 years, and when I bought it the mileage was less than 80K. It now has 270K, and never had any major issues until last year when I had the transmission rebuilt. Apart from the normal maintenance, oil changes, tires, batteries, plugs and filters it has been a truly great SUV. I drive it daily commuting back and forth to work. I set the cruise on 70 mph. At 70 mph the tach runs about 2300 rpm. The last two weeks (EVERYDAY) it has stalled out and went dead on me. The tach will drop from 2300 rpm to about a 1000 before going to zero and dying. I put my hazards on pull off onto the shoulder and it cranks right back up. This is what I've done in the last two weeks. I changed the exterior fuel filter, I dropped the gas tank and checked the compression on the fuel pump (it was good) while in the tank I changed the filter on the inside of the tank. I changed the cam shaft sensor, both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors. I cleaned out the catalytic converter. I changed the fuel pump relay switch. Most of these things were changed because my check engine light came on and I had the codes ran that showed possible problems. No issues with it dying at red lights and stop signs, but I'm also loosing power (acting like its bogged down) and I have to really push the gas to get it going. Also my fuel mileage has plummeted, but it doesn't get that great of mileage anyway. I had the intake cleaned and I do regular oil changes at 5k I change the air filter again recently. It runs like a champ until it comes up to temp. My current temp is right at 210 degrees. I had some issues with the radiator, but got that fixed a few years ago. I also changed out the grommet pvc valves that sit on top of the manifold (changed the hoses out that lead to these) I'm a do it yourself type person (within my scope of practice) I'm not a mechanic, but the little things I enjoy doing, but this has me scratching my head. I don't think it is the throttle body, because it only dies on the interstate at 70ish mph. Any ideas or suggestions that I may have overlooked would be greatly appreciated. I also have a code of a low governor pressure sensor, but that is located in the transmission which I will have done. I asked around and I'm fairly certain it is a fuel related problem. Or a sensor problem. I checked all fuses also.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: I6

If all your pressure is good, do you hear any suction noises from under the hood/ drivetrain. Mine started stalling out on me at about 45 and I looked everywhere. . Turns out it was a busted vaccum line
Old 04-29-2014, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I would change out that governor pressure solenoid. It's a fairly easy job. No telling what was put into your new rebuild last year plus from time to time parts go bad before their life expectancy. I would have concern for this part because it shares the same ground as the O2 sensors and you have already replace them. If you still have warranty on that rebuild, take it back to the shop. I don't know what kind of compression test you did on the fuel pump, however you still should be checking fuel pressure downstream at the fuel rail. Could be a low fuel pressure issue that might require changing out injectors. Any chance you could share the actual codes you retrieved? Also, a long shot here but have you tried cruising at the same speeds WITHOUT the cruise control?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by fishbone
I would change out that governor pressure solenoid. It's a fairly easy job. No telling what was put into your new rebuild last year plus from time to time parts go bad before their life expectancy. I would have concern for this part because it shares the same ground as the O2 sensors and you have already replace them. If you still have warranty on that rebuild, take it back to the shop. I don't know what kind of compression test you did on the fuel pump, however you still should be checking fuel pressure downstream at the fuel rail. Could be a low fuel pressure issue that might require changing out injectors. Any chance you could share the actual codes you retrieved? Also, a long shot here but have you tried cruising at the same speeds WITHOUT the cruise control?
If your getting P1757 just replace the solenoid and sensor just to be safe.
However I don't believe your issue is related