Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2002 GC engine broken piston replace or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 2002 GC engine broken piston replace or rebuild?

Hello Everyone, I’m new to Jeep but very mechanical with GM and Dodge. So here goes my new headache.
One of our shop customers brought in a 2002 GC larado by trailer with blown/locked up motor. Upon the news that a piston had broken, bent rod and gouged cylinder wall and needed new motor they said with 202K mi here you go,keys and signed title it’s yours, forgive our bill please.
My Wife fell in love with the red GC so.........

The OE 4.0 had a rebuilt head at 176K mi and may be salvageable with a sleeve in #4 and rebuild the rest of the shortblock. Rather expensive at $1030.18 at the local machine shop.
We have a 155K 4.0 out of a 1998 XJ that was a good runner, customer backed out of deal for new motor, would that short block work?
Also I have the 1980 258 from my AMC Eagle. I had rebuilt it around 21K mi ago,
would the 258 short block be useable with a few mods?

Thank You Everyone!

Last edited by rickpilgrim; 12-02-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

In short, nope. In 99, jeep went to a "clean side" block and the motor mounts were moved. People say somebody makes aftermarket motor mounts that make it work, but I have no personal experience with them.

Here's the story. Jeep had to move the motor mounts rearward to balance the 4.7 V8 in the WJ. (99-04) Therefore, the block of the 4.0 had to be changed to use it. In doing so, the oil filter had to be moved to the side of the block. They also replaced the distributor with a low voltage sensor for the coil rail. So, the identifiers are the oil filter location and the ignition coil rail. They also used a modified cylinder head, called the 0331, that had problems with cracking and a larger intake manifold with cast iron exhaust headers. In 02, they cured the head problem with the "TUPY" head, which is an 0331 cast with more nickle in the mix to eliminate the cracking. The brackets for the power steering pump are molded into the intact manifold as well.

The engines are the same internally and the heads will interchange so if you can find motor mounts that work and a remote oil filter kit, you could get away with it. I have no knowledge of the 258, but someone here must know.

Last edited by dave1123; 12-02-2017 at 09:54 PM.