Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

2000 GC Ltd - Power windows, alarm, int lighting

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 GC Ltd - Power windows, alarm, int lighting

Hello all… just today found this forum while searching for anything to help me fix my Jeep issues. SO, I’m brand new to the forum. Looks like a huge volume of information in here.

This will probably too wordy but if you wouldn’t mind wading through this and reading on, I would be most appreciative. I can live with most of these issues but the automatic windows are a priority. I’m currently parked and have plastic over the window.

The main issues are electrical, i.e. power windows, alarm, door locks and interior lights (not including dash lights… they’re working) I’ve never worked on my cars but some YT videos seem to be doable even with my limited skill set and lack of correct tools! But before I start removing door panels and performing surgery on wires and pcb’s, is there a method or a best way to diagnose, isolate and fix? In other words, where do I start?

Power Windows
Recently the driver’s window stopped working however if I stopped the car, opened and closed the driver’s door, the window would suddenly work. Currently, none of the interior window controls work.

Alarm
Key fob doesn’t work (even w/new battery) so using key to enter which (sometimes) sets off the alarm.

Interior lighting
Interior lighting working intermittently (dash, gauges, indicators ok…)

Automatic Locks
These work only from front passenger side. That would lock all doors except the driver’s side which has to be locked manually from the inside before exiting. (procedure is: turn off engine, remove key, open driver door, lock all with front passenger side lock switch, then on driver’s door, manually move lock slider under door opener, then exit and close door) No interior lights when doors open or closed.

Any advice or help you can offer is appreciated.

Many thanks…
Old 04-16-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

The only way to get the alarm to not go off when using the key to unlock the Jeep is to manually lock all of the doors (push the sliders on the door so that they show all black instead of black with orange) when you get out... have to do that on my dad's Jeep since the keyfobs are not working. Either that or find the security alarm module and disconnect it (though I'm pretty sure it's also connected to the keyless entry or RKE module, so disconnecting that would also disable the keyless entry/RKE).

I think your window and lock problems are possibly related to a bad master switch panel on the front driver's door... you'll probably need a new master switch panel to fix the problem, as when that goes bad, everything that it controls acts up.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Update to original post:
Ok... pulled the driver side door panel this morning. As it turns out everything between the control panel and the boot (between the door and the frame) tested okay. Got into the boot itself and discovered 2 power wires were broken as if someone had cut them with a knife or scissors. The breaks were that clean. Very surprising to me. To providr a little more slack, I took a couple of very short lengths of similar gauged wire, spliced them in, soldered, wrapped with electrical tape. Tested all, then put back together. All issues solved.

So far, the intermittent alarm issue is dormant but if it comes up again, I'll know where to start.
Thanks all for your comments and help...